Menu

Janice in NJ - About Tindall's - America

Hi Janice,

I read in a few previous posts you are using (or have used) George Tindall's America book (the one SWB recommends). My upcoming 9th grader will be studying 1600 - 1850 (early mod) and since it's recommended in WTM I'm really considering using it along with A History of Asia by Murphey (another SWB recommendation). Anyway, in an older post you mentioned a printed study guide for the Tindall book. Could you possibly tell me where I could find this? or an ISBN number?

Also, do you think its not too over the top for a 9th grader to read?

Thanks!

Sangita

dd(14),dd(12),dd(9),dd(6)

My ninth grader happily read Tindall and Rhoads last year and certainly enjoyed them a lot more than the Spielvogel text book! I certainly would be interested in the study guide you mentioned as well. I just had her read and do three level outlines on certain sections of her choice, and then write back from them. We'll continue with that this year (early Modern for us.)

Bummer. It looks like this title is in its 8th edition.

Info on the 8th edition here:

http://books.wwnorton.com/books/978-0-393-93405-2/

Hope it helps.

Janice

Thank you for the links. Do you think I should purchase the 7th edition http://www.amazon.com/America-Narrative-History-Brief-Seventh/dp/0393927350/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I20T0NJ6TLJP84&colid=205MMP62Z07JS or the newer 8th edition?

I couldn't find anything on the differences.... Thanks for the ISBN numbers for the study guide.

Sangita

My ninth grader happily read Tindall and Rhoads last year and certainly enjoyed them a lot more than the Spielvogel text book! I certainly would be interested in the study guide you mentioned as well. I just had her read and do three level outlines on certain sections of her choice, and then write back from them. We'll continue with that this year (early Modern for us.)

Pam,

Thanks for your post. Our dd will be doing early Modern as well in the fall (9th grade). Just wondering since they are two seperate texts (Tindall & Murphey) how will you schedule both? Will dc ready one chapter from each book weekly?

Also, I'd like to also have dd do 3-level outlines. How did your dd pick the section to outline? I guess they were topics that didn't span multiple chapters? Sorry - just trying to gleen from you!! If you need to PM me that's fine!

On another note, what literature will you have your dd read? Will she do a curriculum or books on her own?? - thanks

Thanks so much for your advice,

Sangita

dd(14),dd(12),dd(9),ds(6)

If you can find the study guide to match, I would personally purchase the 7th edition. New editions are for college students who "have" to have the new book. Older editions for under $10 work GREAT for homeschooled high school students. The cheap price will encourage you to teach your child to annotate. :001_smile:

Have fun!

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

If you can find the study guide to match, I would personally purchase the 7th edition. New editions are for college students who "have" to have the new book. Older editions for under $10 work GREAT for homeschooled high school students. The cheap price will encourage you to teach your child to annotate. :001_smile:

Have fun!

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

Janice,

Thanks for the response. I'll look for the brief 7th edition used somewhere. Also, I punched in the study guide (vol 1) ISBN on Amazon and I got the study guide for the 7th edition book. Will this SG work with the brief 7th edition?? even though the text is called "brief 7th edition". I hope this makese sense! thanks!

Also, what do you think of the Rhodes Murphey book - History of Asia?

Thanks!!!