Menu

Copywork for beginning reader

My Daughter will finish the HWTears kindergarten book in a week or two. I want her to do some simple copywork to keep up her writing. I have been looking around on the internet, but I am overwhelmed.

Mostly I am looking for very simple sentences or single words (like labeling animals, or common words). Worksheety looking--she is very motivated by cutsie pictures to color, etc.

Do you have any ideas?

I have Startwrite, but I don't really want to create them all myself, you know?

I use word lists and sentences from Phonics Pathways for copywork and dicatation, and will continue to do so until DD the Younger is a reasonably fluent reader.

What I am going to suggest might be super boring and I'm sorry for that!

What I have done for my K5er this upcoming year that she began doing at the end of last year and loved it was this..,

I have a writing tablet that is the large lines for elementary age writers. I write a short sentence like "I have 2 dogs." and she's to copy it on the next line. However to make it fun I've included magazines for her to find 2 dogs and glue next to the writing lesson. She found this to be a lot of fun. I make her write then find the pictures. That way her motivation is that much more. So this upcoming year I took a tablet and wrote short sentences for the first 15 pages and will continue to do that through-out the whole year. For those she can't find pictures of, she's allowed to draw something near the writing to show me she understands the sentence. I dug all over the net for copywork and found this idea on a blog and I liked it best of all rather than printing pre-done pages.

Good luck either way! :D

I just ordered some of these for my son who will be in 1st grade. They are more than one word, but much shorter and easier-seeming than a lot of stuff I've seen. Also cheap! They are $1.50 book (I think 20 exercises) for instant download, but I bought the discounted bunch - 35 books for $8!!! They are normally $16, but on sale. The sale price shows up in your basket. Figured it was too good a deal to pass up, even though my son is not a huge writer at the moment. They'll probably last us a couple of years at least. Each book is a different fun subject: Weather Folklore - Irish Folklore - Lord of the Rings - Military Forces - Words of the Gospel - Bible Proverbs - Bible Psalms - Video Games - Language of Flowers - Stars and Planets - Rocks & Minerals - Classic Proverbs - State of Michigan - Horses - Dogs - Cats - Life on the Farm - Pets - Copybook Sayings - Miracles of Jesus - Old Testament Miracles - Backyard Birds - Wild Birds - Ancient Egypt - Ancient Greece - Ancient Rome - Medieval Times - Age of Discovery - Colonial Times - Westward Ho! - Civil War Times - Progressive Era - World War One - World War Two - Cold War till Now.

I don't think there are pictures to draw, but maybe fancy borders to color. And they also have a series for older kids.

http://www.happyscribecopybooks.com/hsc-products.html

We just have a journal and we write sentences based on something interesting that happened that day usually. Something about a friend, a story, our cats, the bunny in the backyard, what we picked from the garden, etc. We have a journal that is half ruled and half space for a picture, so she draws a picture if she wants. This works well for her. Many days she wants to write something funny!