Menu

Wheelock's and Grote

Has anyone used both of these? I wasn't sure if we should read the whole chapter in the Wheelock's text one day, then do the whole chapter in Grote, then the Wheelock's workbook or is it better to do some of each daily. Thanks for all your help.

I bought it in case ds needed additional help. So far, he has not.

This is basically how we do a chapter:

Listen to the vocabulary.

Read the chapter in the textbook.

Go through all the exercises, questions, lectiones, etc. in the workbook

Go through the exercises in the textbook

Do the optional exercises in the textbook (mostly orally)

Do the translation in the textbook

Do the corresponding story in the 38 Latin Stories book

Review

Quiz

This is pretty much how it is outlined in the MODG syllabus. They provide quizzes. We work 45 minutes per day. We also drill vocabulary/forms as needed all the time.

HTH.

I bought it in case ds needed additional help. So far, he has not.

This is basically how we do a chapter:

Listen to the vocabulary.

Read the chapter in the textbook.

Go through all the exercises, questions, lectiones, etc. in the workbook

Go through the exercises in the textbook

Do the optional exercises in the textbook (mostly orally)

Do the translation in the textbook

Do the corresponding story in the 38 Latin Stories book

Review

Quiz

This is pretty much how it is outlined in the MODG syllabus. They provide quizzes. We work 45 minutes per day. We also drill vocabulary/forms as needed all the time.

HTH.

This schedule is very similar to how I set up our Wheelock's study, except that on the 1st day my son reads the Chapter, listens to the vocabulary CD, and watches the Dale Grote lecture. On the 2nd day, he adds new vocabulary to his notebook, reads the corresponding chapter in the Grote Comprehensive Guide, and reviews flashcards.

This is great. Thank you both for your help. Is the Grote lecture the $550 class or is this something different.

I don't even know what a Grote lecture is! We only have a book. Do tell! What is included in a Grote lecture? I have really been picking your brain today!

Sorry for the confustion, but I'm talking about the $50 CD found here: http://www.classicsprofessor.com/Wheelock_Files.html

Quite honestly, I haven't watched the lectures yet (even though it's on my summer to-do list), but my oldest son likes them and the Chap 9 lecture helped him finally understand demonstratives; that in itself was worth the $50!

I listened to some of the Grote lectures at

http://www. languages.uncc.edu/classics/file/wheelock . They sound very helpful. We will be ordering this. Thanks for the info.

The link for printing out a form didn't work. I don't have a Paypal account. Do I need one to order the other way?

Also, I am confused. Are these lectures you watch or lectures you litsen to? Do they only play on a computer?

I don't have a paypal account, so I printed the form and mailed a check earlier this year (Jan/Feb timeframe). I would e-mail Mr. Grote and let him know that the link isn't working.

We received a cd and my husband downloaded the information to our computer. I have a short-cut on my desk top and when I double click the chapter I want to listen to, an internet window opens up with the specific chapter lecture. While Mr. Grote lectures, static slides go across the screen (like a Power Point presentation). This is really all I know. If you have specific questions, I can ask my husband. Obviously, I'm not the computer literate person in my family...

We have Grote's companion, and read it in addition to the chapter in Wheelock. My son took Latin 1 online through Artesian Wells, and they made it through ch. 24. Grote was not mandatory, but I found it helpful. Just one more method of presentation to deliver the material.

Guest dagrote

Hi. I saw a couple of questions about my materials. The $550 is for the year-long course. We meet once a week online in real time with audio/video connection and cover all of Wheelock in a year or 50 classes. It moves quickly and probably isn't for true beginners. Most people in the class are older autodidacts who've had Latin before or home schooled students who've had a few years in other, less structured programs, where the grammar isn't the primary objective. The lectures are $50 and go through the Wheelock chapters one at a time. They also include worksheets and tutorials on the sentences in the back.

Hope that helps.