Menu

80/20 Rule

PollyOR

Do you find this is true for homeschool curriculum? Do you use 20% of your homeschool resources 80% of the time?

We are buried with stuff in our house. Something has to go. I have a LOT of homeschool books, etc. crammed in closets, bookshelves, and the garage. I tried to keep the 80/20 rule in mind while I dejunked this afternoon. It was still very hard to convince myself to give up even a small portion of my homeschool treasures. This is wonderful stuff ... that I don't use. Why can't I let go of it?

I feel the same way. I have WAY too much curriculum and other stuff. But, letting the books go seems to be VERY hard. I wish I could get up the courage and sell 80% of it. Maybe I will someday. I keep telling myself I can sell what I have get what we need for this year and then get what I need for next year etc.. but I just am afraid to let the stuff I WANT to use go. Maybe someone will have some good advice for us.

I just finished my huge cleanout yesterday. It took two days, but I have room in my cabinets now. It was so worth getting rid of so much stuff. I have actually gone back to the schoolroom several times, opened the cabinets doors and just said, "Ahhhh." :tongue_smilie:

Go ahead and get rid of it. On the slim chance that you find yourself regretting the decision regarding a particular item, you can always buy it again. In the meantime, you will enjoy the freedom and peacefulness that comes with being organized, and release the pressure of looking at all those things that you don't need and/or use.

I am pretty good about using what I buy, but then I have a hard time getting rid of it when we're done (think SL cores). Occasionally, I will buy something and realize there is no way we are ever going to have time to use it. Right now, I own TT5 and I know my kids would love to use this as a supplement, but I don't see when they will ever possibly have time. I'm still having trouble letting it go because I know they would love it.

I did just get rid of a bunch of stuff this year because it was either that or buy another bookshelf to make room for our new stuff for the upcoming year. Another motivation for me is that I need the money from what I sell to purchase many of the things we will use the following year.

Lisa