Menu

French or Spanish if I know French grammar well (not much listening or speaking)?

I learned some French (2 yrs in college, and 1 yr in graduate school) and can still read some and speak a little. My grammar is really good. On the other hand, I know no Spanish.

The library near us has tons of picture books/readers/books on CD in Spanish and two librarians that speak Spanish and there is a weekly bedtime Spanish story evening as well. The grocery stores have Spanish signs. So you get my point: If we choose to learn Spanish, then we have real people and free readers available. However, I don't love Spanish as much as French. But there are no French resources as readily available as Spanish ones. So what would you do?

If I teach/learn French with my kids, then I can teach vocab and grammar very easily. But if we learn Spanish, we can use it more easily and read in it too. What would you do?

J

That's really a hard question.

I took French in high school and college and did quite well with it. I knew that I would pick it up again if I just tried--I am often able to read it even though I cannot speak it well any more. However, dh really wanted the kids to learn Spanish, and he promised most faithfully to practice with them.

Unfortunately the reality has been that dh just doesn't have the time to practice with them. I ended up in the very difficult position of trying to give my kids a language I cannot personally teach--it was been hard. Our solution to the dilemma has been to throw money at it. Our kids have had Spanish tutors for years, and they practice just a tiny bit with their father.

From our experience I would urge you to teach the language that you know you can teach.

ON THE OTHER HAND, though, I did find that when I chose to take Spanish lessons myself, I picked up Spanish quite easily. There are many, many similarities to French. I do not currently take Spanish lessons, but have found that by kinda-sorta keeping up with my younger child's vocabulary, I can often read Spanish though I cannot speak it. So despite the difficulties I have had as a teacher, my kids have progressed well with their tutors and it's been okay. And, in the long run, Spanish is by far the more practical of the two languages here in North America (we're in Chicago).

Based on what is practical in our world, I would advocate for Spanish.

The key to language learning, either way, is consistency and constant exposure. Whatever language you choose, make sure you are working on it daily if possible.

That's not really a definitive answer, but I hope our experience helps the thought process.

Even though I personally prefer French as a language, I think that in your situation it would be a shame not to learn Spanish, given that you have so many opportunities around you to practice it, read in it, connect with other Spanish speakers, etc.

On the other hand, your kids don't have to miss out on French because they learn Spanish, how about doing both? You would have to find a way to find French resources for kids, I suppose (you can find and order them online too, if you don't have them available near you), but if you have a solid knowledge yourself, you'll be creative enough to get the most out of it you can.

The more I think about it, the more dilemma I am in. I really love French. And I really know the grammar and a lot of vocab. So it would be a real advantage for me as the teacher. French sounds very nice to the ears.

Spanish is so unfamiliar, I will have to rely totally on outsiders. I feel unsure. I don't feel the personal connection with this language, at least not yet. I wish I liked it more.

J

Even though I personally prefer French as a language, I think that in your situation it would be a shame not to learn Spanish, given that you have so many opportunities around you to practice it, read in it, connect with other Spanish speakers, etc.

On the other hand, your kids don't have to miss out on French because they learn Spanish, how about doing both? You would have to find a way to find French resources for kids, I suppose (you can find and order them online too, if you don't have them available near you), but if you have a solid knowledge yourself, you'll be creative enough to get the most out of it you can.

:iagree: French is obviously something you're comfortable with and really love. Spanish, well, you have wonderful resources locally. So I think, as Ester Maria posted, you should go ahead and teach both languages.

:iagree: French is obviously something you're comfortable with and really love. Spanish, well, you have wonderful resources locally. So I think, as Ester Maria posted, you should go ahead and teach both languages.

:lol::lol:Can you see me spinning? I love languages. I wish I could teach lots of languages. I am teaching Chinese now. We want to start Latin and a modern language. I see some people ARE doing more than three languages with their kids. I really love that!

If I were you I would go with French:) I just love French even I don't know it at all. My daughter was taking on-line French classes in K, so she fell in love with it. At the beginning she didn't wanted to learn it at all but I insisted. She wanted to try Spanish for 6 month( her french program had only 3 levels so she decided to do half year course of Spanish) She disliked it so much she doesn't want to hear about an idea of learning it in the nearest future. If she ever does, it will be Castilian Spanish( not Latin American). Our library has a lot of resources in Spanish( at some point I think too much of Spanish everywhere). I wish it would be more in French or German, but not near us. My daughter is going to study French/German + some Russian this year adding Japanese in a couple of years.

P.S. I will be learning French and German with her too:)

Any subject is more likely to be taught and taught consistently when the parent is comfortable with it. While it's nice that your community offers you Spanish language opportunities, that has only limited value without more structured daily instruction.

Are you able to order French materials from your library. Possibly they don't have much on the shelves but can get more from other libraries.

You have me convinced!:auto:I am now really more comfortable with the idea of French. I feel excited when I think of it. So this is the sign that French is for us despite all the Spanish around us. Somehow I don't like how Spanish sounds as much as French. I will check my library for loans.

You have a good point that the outside resources are not as important as the mom who can enjoy it and have confidence in it.

At least we will start with French and if the kids or I are interested we can always add Spanish later on.

What do you think of using Learnables French? Is there another program that you tried and loved?

Thank you so much for being my sounding board!

J