Menu

Help me decide between 3 choices...

I'm torn between HOD Beyond, MFW Adventures, OR just doing our own unit studies on whatever topices we choose along with nature studies for science, history and Bible.

DD will be in 2nd and twin boy's will be in 1st. I was thinking about using Beyond this year and Adventures when they are in 2nd & 3rd grades. Then I thought we should just keep it simple as can be, and do our own unit & nature studies on whatever topics we choose.

I have math & LA taken care of already. Also, they can all read if that makes any difference with your input.

Edited by 1GirlTwinBoys

I have a 2nd grader and a 4th grader, and am finally relaxing enough to allow them to follow their interests, sort of. What I plan on doing is reading to them from an American history spine of some sort (haen't decided which one yet) and then we'll follow any rabbit trails that really interest them. For science, we're doing nature studies as per their interests. Both have chosen to start with a unit on insects, so I'm gathering (slowly) materials for that.

With the history, my dd is very interested in Native Americans, so I figure we'll spend a fair amount of time on that.

So it's kind of a cross between teacher/parent led and child led education. I think it is fine to allow them, especially at the ages of your kids, to follow their interests. I'm not really familar with either HOD or MFW, but I think there is plenty they could learn without them. One of our best years so far was the year of the unit study, where each month or so we chose science and other topics (sicail studies/history) and just went with the flow. It was a lot of fun, and because the subject matter really interested them, they retained a lot of it!

I used both programs. It really bothered me to read x pages of this book, then that book, then the other book...all in the same day. They are both good programs but if starting/stopping reading when a teacher's guide tells you too bugs you....then do your own thing. Also both of those programs use American Pioneers and Patriots as a spine, you wouldn't want to do that two years in a row. Both programs cover essentially the same material. You could easily get AP&P or another book and read it and follow bunny trails. Use HOD's book list for books to borrow from the library and have fun.

Kim