Menu

Anyone use CPO's Middle School Life Science?

Capt_Uhura

I'm doing it next year as well, I have not quite figured out what, if anything, we would use from the equipment list.

At the large University here, they have a teacher's curriculum library where I bet I can find close substitutes... but it moved on campus, and I haven't figured out yet where it is now. Might there be something like this in your area? Or maybe you can call CPO and ask if they cut any deals for HSers. You never know!

Oh, and a bump.... ;)

Capt, I got my teacher's manual. Have yet to order the student book bc I'm hoping to get it cheaper, but I am about ready to start looking through labs and putting a list together. You said all the labs are on their website, right? Maybe I'll have an idea in a week or so. This should be next on my list. Brownie

Yes the labs are on the website. They are called "Student Record Sheets" on the bottom right. I've compiled all the materials required into a Word Doc so if anyone wants it, PM me w/ your email address and I"ll send it to you. I made some notes about where to buy some things online. You do need a microscope for several of the units (plants/animal cells, microbes). I don't think we'll do the optics unit at the end...well, we'll do it but I wont' worry w/ the optic kits unless I find it cheaply.

Good idea about calling CPO...I'm not against begging......:tongue_smilie:

I did this as part of a coop, so I can't say how people got around every single lab substitution, but we got on fine. I know for some labs we just did a different lab entirely, either because of equipment, or more often because the lab was longer term (days or a week to observe) than we could accomplish in the 1.5-2 hrs we had together. Generally I thought they were very good. One of our members had a microscope so we just shared it.

Capt, any idea what quality of microscope is necessary for these experiments? They don't seem to say on the website what kind of microscope comes in the kit. We have a cheap one. My sister has an awesome one but lives 8 hrs away :) That would be a long field trip. Brownie