Menu

Is this accelerated?

I would say that most 7 y.o. would not be easily solving 9X9 sudoku puzzles.

My DD went through a sudoku phase a couple years ago so I pulled out the book. It's called Super Sudoku for Kids. The first third of the book are 4X4 puzzles, the second third are 6x6 puzzles, and the last third are 9x9 puzzles.

My son, who turned 7 in February, has been playing Sodoku for the past couple of days. We have a board like this one:

Sudoku Wooden Board

He has been systematically going through the puzzles and is getting them correct. Is this typical for a 7 year old who has just completed first grade? Or does this sound rather advanced?

I am not sure- my 8 year old has been doing soduko puzzles for just over 2 years (much faster than me sometimes and getting them right :001_huh:) But she has had me wondering also because of her math skills and her comprehension skills. (through the roof!)

Is he accelerated in any other subjects? If its just soduko then I would just think that you have a logical thinker- but if he is showing advancement in other areas then he just could be!:D

If he is accelerated, it would be in math/science. Not language for sure. He is absolutely average in that category ;)

I started him in CLE 1st grade this year for Math. He took one look at it and said I know all this stuff. So we did just the tests, and yep he did know it all.

I gave him a Singapore placement test and he easily tested into 2A/2B after having only done rudimentary K math + the tests in CLE. We are planning on doing Singapore this coming year.

He can easily add stuff like 27 + 36 in his head.

I gave him Miquon to work at his own pace for the rest of the year. All 6 books. He was excited to learn multiplication and understood more complicated fractions right away. He is working in the third book mostly.

I think that's great! My DS (just turned 6) loves sudoku, too! Considering that DS has been confirmed to be profoundly gifted and just started the regular 9-square puzzles recently, I would absolutely agree that your 7 year old has a gifted mind for these types of logic puzzles.

With the double-digit addition, that is harder to pinpoint. I know they don't teach that in regular math curriculums, but it is covered in Rightstart B, which is meant for 1st graders. Multiplication and fractions are common 2nd grade curriculum.

He might enjoy Mindbenders, too. That's a great logical deduction exercise. You can find free samples on the critical thinking resources curriculum website.