Menu

Would you help me pick out curriculum for my very active Grade 2 boy?

This is my third son. You would think I would have this down by now:glare: I am a Christian. I use secular curriculum because we use a VA and that is what they buy. I prefer to order from RR because I can use a purchase order with them. I've really thought about doing Oak Meadow with him. But, honestly I don't know if it's a good fit. He does not sit still for long. He does a lot of short lessons and I've given into bribing him with treats if he will finish:tongue_smilie: He is a high energy boy. Can I repeat that?

Reading

He is not reading on his own yet. This will be our main focus. We will continue working with Hooked on Phonics and use games from Happy Phonics. This seem to be working well.

Writing

He will use GD Italics B. Since, he isn't reading yet, I'm not sure WWE would be useful for me. Maybe just a lot of copywork?

History

The other boys will be on SOTW Volume 4. SOTW 3 was not attractive to him at all. I don't know if he will have some sort of jump this year. But, I don't think SOTW 4 is appropriate for his age. I do have SOTW 1 and I suppose I could try that with him. Being on two cycles will drive me nuts I'm sure:lol:

Science

The other boys are doing Physical Science and Chemistry. He liked the Delta Science in a Nutshell Kits. So, maybe more of those?

Math

He did Math U See Primer. It went ok. I do have the next level of MUS. So, I could just try that with him.

Hello,

I can't recommend Oak Meadow highly enough! I haven't looked through their second grade curriculum yet, but I've looked through all of OMK which I plan to do with my son in the fall, and I absolutely adore it. All of it. The nature, story, hands on, creative, artsy, get out there and do things feel- it's great!

I just finished using OM4 with my daughter, and I've looked through all of OM5 which we'll be using in the fall, and I'm very pleased with it. And while OM4 started having more writing and things like that than I hear the younger grades do, it still also had a LOT of hands on, get out and about, creative stuff about it, and that's what I love about it.

So she didn't have to spend hours sitting still even in 4th grade- so I highly doubt yours would have to in 2nd!

...I do have an older, used version of the 2nd grade curriculum in my possession (well, upstairs in my closet lol) as I had bought K-8 used from the same person all at once. If you have any specific questions or really want to know more about what the 2nd grade curric is like, feel free to email me at sahmiam3@hotmail.com

...things are about to get more hectic here for me as tomorrow our Fresh Air Fund Child comes and we've got lots planned for when she's here, so I don't know how often I'll get to get on this message board, but I will check email regularly and I will try to help out if you need me to in regard to OM.

Take care,

Nance

I'm going to recommend Oak Meadow as well. But you may want to switch out the stories for him--instead of their fables you may want to do Aesop's which you can find online for free. They are shorter and there are more of them so you can find the ones that resonate with him.

I think he would probably like the active nature of the science lessons too since once you get into them you are not sitting and listening but making something. My dd hates ants but she loved the ant story and making a nest out of leaves on a branch. Now she talks about these ants all the time and how neat they are.

The history is also not really sit and listen but do. We made a calendar where she got to draw the pictures and later on we get to go out and learn about the community so there is lots of room for field trips if you want them or just talking about things.

My dd also was not reading as we started second but now everything has clicked and she is reading.

Hope this helps.:001_smile:

That does help. Thanks again Christy!

I think I probably should have asked if OM would be a good fit for him.

I just realized that I thought when I started homeschooling that I would be able to just reuse curriculum with the next child. But, they turned out so different.

Charlotte Mason is another option. We used to be in a small CM co-op, and nearly all the children were boys. I used to tease them and tell them that they all loved CM so much because of the short lessons. :)

Ambleside Online (http://www.amblesideonline.org) has a free online curriculum with book lists and schedules and all that. There are several Yahoo groups - some for schedules others have posted, some for copywork, and some for general Ambleside questions. It might be worth looking into.

I'm not sure you'd find everything you needed on Rainbow Resource, but maybe you could put something together. Lots of the books Ambleside uses are in the public domain, and are available online for free (or to put on an eReader or iPod Touch) or you can often get the printed books from mainlesson.com.

Just a thought. CM is great for wiggly people. Ask me how I know.... :D

Not a curriculum, but when my son was that age and very active, books by Peggy Kaye were a great help. She books on writing,math, and reading. THey include activites and games to reinforce the concept. And whatever curriculum you use can be adapted for an active child. Instead of sitting and saying addition facts, do it by hopping, or bouncing a ball. My son loved the sciencekits.