Menu

Used Lial's & Chalkdust (alg2, precalc): where to buy?

I posted on the WTB boards here, but can anyone recommend good sites to buy gently used versions Lial's and Chalkdust (Intermediate Algebra and pre-calc)? I often buy used on Amazon, but searching for textbooks is so different than other books. What good sites (or search engines for sites) are out there for this?

And of course I'm a little concerned about trying to piece together all the right editions of a particular course. If you've BTDT, I'd welcome any advice you have to share!

Thanks!

Stacey :)

from Abebooks.com. The hardest part was making sure they were the right editions but at one time Jann TX listed ISBN for solution manual and text. I bet if you search you can find it or if you ask someone else can give it. I used 7th edition and most people use that or 8th edition. Together I paid $30 for set but did have to buy them separately. Bought DVT's but never used and most people don't need them so I don't know that I'd buy them again. I didn't buy them for Pre-Cal but also ended up not needing them.

Thanks, Alyce -- do you recall what condition yours were listed in? I was thinking I would try for "very good" or better. But I'm bit of a book snob when it comes to condition. lol I just haven't really bought true textbooks this way, so I'm not sure if sellers generally respect the same guidelines as they do for non-textbooks.

I have used this site many times and have usually found things in good condition. Most sellers will list item as good, very good etc and say things like some highlighting, bent cover etc. I have bought some books for $1 that were in excellent shape. Don't just assume that if I pay more it will be in better shape. That is not always the case. Amazon can be used as well but you also need to search by ISBN, that will give you the book you want. Both sites are good but I usually find better prices at Abebooks. I've used them alot and never had a problem with them.

I usually put the ISBN number into the Google search engine. Usually, you will get some hits for sites that will look up all the prices for that ISBN in their search engine (and I usually check out a couple of these). Because I'm a bit of a book snob, too, I try to go with individual sellers that usually take more care to list the condition of the book than a big textbook selling company that might list a generic textbook description: "may contain highlighting, pencil marks, etc."

I usually use amazon.com or half.com

I tend to purchase 'new' or 'like new' condition.

With the Lial texts I immediately reinforce the paperback cover with self-laminating sheets (they hold up for years once this is done).

I've occasionally used alibris.com

Sometimes I use http://www.bigwords.com as a search engine to find the best prices on texts for me... I still purchase directly from the main web sites though.

Search using the ISBN number -NOT the name of the text!

Thanks so much for all of the helpful replies! I just bought a set of Lial's, although will still need to pursue CD at some point.

And thank you for the offer on the BCM, that was so kind of you to say something. I don't actually need that level, but maybe someone else does?

I didn't look at ANY curriculum today (for the first time in well over a week), and I feel refreshed already. I think it just wears me out, as much as I love books. lol

Thanks again! :)