Menu

Is anyone familiar with the SAT II Math 1 subject test?????

Studying for either one is helpful for the other, but it's very different from the regular SAT math. I would suggest going to the library and taking out different prep books. Each one teaches things slightly differently, and the practice "tests" are really helpful. My daughter found that the questions are worded more like they are in her texts (for the Math I), whereas the SAT math problems were worded differently and the answers were more deceptive. IOW this test seemed more straight forward. Reviewing algebra I and II and geometry are also important as part of prep.

Thanks.... I thought it would be similar so I don't think we'll do it.

I don't think they are that similar. For example, there is, or can be, some trig.

Maybe over all you could say it is more "math" and the regular SAT is more logic or reasoning? (in a math context).

It is also probably a more select group that takes the test, so if your dc do well, then it is good for their records. It is hard to get a perfect score because the last I know, you could not miss a single answer. For each answer you miss, the score goes down 10 points.

It provides another opportunity to review and solidify concepts and material for a serious test that gets more credit than a "mommy" test.

Joan

Thanks.... I thought it would be similar so I don't think we'll do it.

Were you hoping they'd be more similar?

The math skills needed for both are similar, but the way the questions are asked is totally different. More math achievement on the SAT Math I, and more math reasoning on the math on the regular SAT. Joan said it better than I did. :)

If a student did very well on the math on the regular SAT, then they would probably have no problem scoring well on the Math I. But the reverse isn't necessarily true.