Menu

comb binding machine question

campmom

I'm not a big fan of comb binding so I went with a Zutter Bind-it-All that uses double wire coils. It is a machine designed for scrapbooking, but it binds all sizes of books and projects. The cutter cuts through heavy chipboard with ease, so it is great for making thicker covers for books. They come in a blue and pink version. You can usually find them for a good price on ebay. They sell the coils at Hobby Lobby and lots of places on line, including Amazon.

can the zutter machines do a full sized book like 8 1/2 by 11? Binding things is a pain and requires me to have to drive at least 40 min out of my way so this would be awesome to find an affordable spiral binder.

Yes! I do it all the time. The coils are long enough, for legal size, I believe. (I always have about 3 coils left from and 8.5x11, so it would make sense that this would work.) You can cut them to any smaller size with wire cutters. I also cut my HWT paper into 3.25" "Spelling Test" practice strips and bind at the top with covers to make little practice notebooks.

I have the blue machine, which is the older version, and I love it. This is the one that you can usually get really cheap on ebay.

It only does 8 pieces of paper at a time and usually doesn't give me too much trouble. I bought it with coupons and knowing that it might only last 2 school years b/c of how much we use it. I use notebooks with the kids for science, habitats and the student planner.

BTW, at the end of the school year, I bought a 2" comb to bind their entire year and it was a bit of a headache with this machine, but I got it done and their planners for last year are complete if any state official comes knocking on my door - ever.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

I buught my comb binder and the combs at http://www.mybinding.com and have been very pleased! The carry all different kinds of binding supplies, not just comb binding. I LOVE comb binding but some prefer coil, etc. I like comb binding because it lays flat and is easy to open to add or remove pages. I can't remember which one I have but it will punch 20 pages at a time and can bind using very large combs. I don't care for combs over 1 1/8 inches though because I don't like the oval fit, unless it's just being bound to store.

GBC. Love it. I re-use the bindings all the time. Make my own planners, workbooks, etc. Especially useful for the early grades, when I mixed and matched all kinds of worksheets on different subjects, plus coloring pages and dot-to-dots, to make workbooks for the littles. So, so worth the money.