Menu

S/O Any grammar curriculum suggestions

HSMom2One

I shared on another thread that I have been somewhat lax in grammar instruction for the past three years, teaching it an average of 3x per week. We do it, but its always a chore. Lately I've been thinking about biting the bullet and working harder at grammar. My dd will begin 6th grade in August.

The first year of hs'ing we did Shurley and dd learned a lot even though we took two years to finish a one year course. I liked Shurley, but it was very teacher intensive and I was kind of tired of staying on top of it. There were things that we both really loved, but since it is designed for classroom use, it was sometimes challenging for me with one child. This just added to the challenge of teaching grammar....so, last year we switched to EG. Although my dd seems to really like it, I'm not convinced that she is retaining the information as well as she did with Shurley. And once again, we stopped halfway through the course at the end of the year, and I feel so guilty about it. I know this is my own weakness. My dd is pretty sharp, a great writer that I'm happy to nurture along, but I know she needs more instruction in grammar. My plan has been that we will pick up where we left off when the new school year begins in August. Along with this, I'm thinking of borrowing from another hs mom's idea, and concentrate on writing skills this year while we do the second half of the EG course.

So here's my point in posting this thread. What would you do from here if you were in my shoes? I'm torn between the plan I've just stated, or throwing out EG all together and purchasing R&S 5th grade grammar. WTM suggests using 5th grade R&S for older students that are starting grammar in middle school anyway. Should I stick with what I have for now or should I make the switch this year?

Oh, and I should add that we are fine in all other aspects of language arts. Dd is a voracious reader and a strong writer, both of which are covered by our TOG studies. We also have spelling and vocabulary programs in place and are fine with what we've got going. It's just the grammar that has me stumped every year.

At this point, I am open to all the input you care to offer.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Wow, I visited the AG website and am very impressed already. Bottom line at the moment is price though. $95 seems a bit steep.

I'll keep it in mind though. :~)

Blessings,

Lucinda

Don't give up yet. Did you see that the price is for a three year program? You do intensive for 11 weeks the first year then a review sheet once a week. Then a shorter intensive on year two (I think it was 7 weeks), etc. When I spread it out like that it didn't seem so expensive.

I did get that part, Linda. You're right, its not so bad spread out over three years. I am just a little shy about it at the moment due to other costs in curriculum for the year. Do you suppose people sell this used?

Blessings,

Lucinda

Another option is Growing with Grammar. I was pretty lax with grammar after we finished First Language Lessons....we did some Write Source books here and there, but my kids don't enjoy writing (much to my disappointment, since I've always loved it). I decided to get a straight grammar program, and ended up going with GWG. I'm so glad we did! It's very easy to use; we just read a section in the text, and they do the assignment in the workbook. It has a lot of review, and there is always a corresponding lesson number to let you know what section a previous lesson appeared in. It's fairly inexpensive: about $29 for the whole set (student text, student workbook, and answer book).

And I'm not absolutely sure yet, but I've narrowed it down to two options. I believe that both options are really good and will get us where we need to be.

1. Start the year out with EG, trying to do grammar 4 days per week steadily and keep primary focus on writing skills. Switch to AG next year. AG looks like a really sweet grammar program and I'm interested for sure.

2. Purchase R & S English 5 and start at the basics, filling in gaps and reviewing basic concepts that dd has forgotten this past year. I have to admit, I feel very drawn to this idea. WTM highly recommends R & S, many on this board also love it and use it, and as I looked over samples of the lessons online it looked very thorough yet easy to teach.

I did take a look at GWG as well, but have to admit that R & S looked much easier to follow.

I'm getting closer, but still open to suggestions/comments.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I'm really leaning harder towards R & S, because I can't help but think it will help fill in some holes here and there, and I do trust the recommendation of SWB. Every time I think about picking up with EG again at the beginning of the year I feel troubled - despite everything I thought I'd believed about it before. I've been praying for wisdom in this, and my mind just keeps going to R & S.

The composition assignments with R & S may or may not work since we are using WA with our TOG this year, but I will take that by each given week. In the meantime, if you have suggestions on how to use R & S just let me know.

Blessings,

Lucinda