Menu

All you Artsy folks out there please answer this question about paper

Aludlam

I'm trying to get our stuff together for our first year of Atelier. The paper on the supply list is "White Drawing paper 12"x18", 60#". RR sells a paper that says the same thing except it's 80#. Would this paper work? We've got a DD8, DD5 and DD3 who will be using this. Also, it says that we need newsprint for "warm-up paper". Would just regular old paper, paper - you know "paper" work for this? I haven't read into the lessons. I've just gotten this info off the supply list.

Any insight, education and/or suggestions would be welcome

much thanks

Angela

The difference between 60# and 80# paper is the weight. 80# paper will be thicker than 60# paper. If you're creating a brochure or something like that, it would matter but if you're just using it for drawing it shouldn't make that big of a difference. The 80# paper will just be more durable than the 60#, which may be good for a younger child who may tend/want to erase a lot.

They may be requesting newsprint as warm up paper because it is usually cheaper than other types of paper and if you're just going to be throwing it away when you've finished with it as opposed to keeping it for a portfolio or framing it, they may just be trying to save you money. Plus newsprint is usually a much larger size than regular paper and it wouldn't have any lines on it. I don't see why you couldn't substitute other paper for your "warm-up" paper unless you need the larger newsprint size, IMO.

The difference between 60# and 80# paper is the weight. 80# paper will be thicker than 60# paper. If you're creating a brochure or something like that, it would matter but if you're just using it for drawing it shouldn't make that big of a difference. The 80# paper will just be more durable than the 60#, which may be good for a younger child who may tend/want to erase a lot.

They may be requesting newsprint as warm up paper because it is usually cheaper than other types of paper and if you're just going to be throwing it away when you've finished with it as opposed to keeping it for a portfolio or framing it, they may just be trying to save you money. Plus newsprint is usually a much larger size than regular paper and it wouldn't have any lines on it. I don't see why you couldn't substitute other paper for your "warm-up" paper unless you need the larger newsprint size, IMO.

Thank you so much for answering!

:iagree: I'm an art teacher and I agree completely with this reply.

Have fun with your littles! I'm so happy to read that you are including art as a subject in your homeschool. I wish everyone did. :~)

Blessings,

Lucinda