Menu

My dogs caused a whole bunch of heart attacks last night!

I need to figure out inexpensive fencing options within my civic association's rules, and I'm not sure how that's going to happen.

For 3 years, I've been taking my dogs outside, on my own property, off-leash (within our rules). Only while supervised, because they're kinda like my kids - if Mommy's not looking...

We've never had a problem beyond their barking at the occasional stranger (but staying within their boundaries, marked by a wide swath of trees/brush, about 20 feet from the road.)

Last night, our neighbors' little girls were walking their dogs, and my guys let out their "Who are you?" woofs (It really does sound like they're asking just that!). The girls screamed.

Screaming kids freak my dogs out. When *my* kids scream, the barking goes through the roof. They think the kids are being harmed.

Sooo... my dogs actually took off into the road. They didn't come within a few yards of the girls/other dogs, but they terrified the poor things, and the other dogs COULD have decided to return the "attack". Thank goodness they didn't!!!!!!

My guys came back within seconds and, after I put them in the house, I went down the street to apologize profusely. The neighbors were very gracious about it, and the littlest girl even laughed, but I feel HORRIBLE for causing such a scare.

I also feel like a complete hypocrite, since my motto has always been "Animals are animals and are always capable of acting as such." And yet I trusted them.

They'll be on-leash now, but that won't work well when I'm hugely pregnant and we're covered in snow and ice. Now to research fencing and by-laws! :glare:

That is scary! Our dog is a runner and we've had our share of dancing in the street with her. We bought this above ground containment unit and it is awesome! It has 6 levels of static, and there are warning beeps if she gets too close to perimeter. She got zapped twice at level 2 (which is extremely mild - I did it to myself first) in different areas of our yard, and now she returns automatically if she hears the warning beeps. Very happy with it. Oh, and it's mobile because it is above ground, so if we ever move, we can just take it with us.

That is scary! Our dog is a runner and we've had our share of dancing in the street with her. We bought this above ground containment unit and it is awesome! It has 6 levels of static, and there are warning beeps if she gets too close to perimeter. She got zapped twice at level 2 (which is extremely mild - I did it to myself first) in different areas of our yard, and now she returns automatically if she hears the warning beeps. Very happy with it. Oh, and it's mobile because it is above ground, so if we ever move, we can just take it with us.

That's exactly what I want (well, second to beautiful 6' iron fencing, lol), but I'm afraid our hilly property might make it difficult to use. I may look into their return policy and seriously consider trying it out.