Menu

What would you do? - Ideas for finishing 2nd semester geometry in <2 months?

One of my teens has about 1/2 of her geometry book to finish this summer, and really wants/needs to get into Algebra 2 by September because of her concurrent science class. She did recently watch the Geometry DVD course through the Teaching Company/Great Courses (thirty 30m lectures, taking notes but not working through all the problems in the accompanying workbook, done in about 4 weeks), but still has 1/2 of her regular textbook to go -- it's a Glencoe textbook, which is fairly typical ps type of book.

I've got no problem just having her do the 2nd 1/2 of the book, if that's what it comes to (this is what she is planning on at this point). But I find myself wondering if this is the best option. I am considering having her do a pre-test of sorts at the beginning of each chapter and then just focus on problem areas.

So I thought I'd throw it out here to see if there are other options I should consider. The goal is to be done with whatever needs to happen by mid-August so she can start Algebra 2.

Oh, and of course she wants to do well on the ACT/SAT, and I was planning to have her and her sister go through the Chalkdust SAT Review course this summer, than maybe again later. ;) What would you do??

FWIW, here is the TOC from her Geometry book (I'm not sure how it compares to others). We are switching math publishers after this.

UNIT ONE: LINES AND ANGLES

1-Points, Lines, Planes, Angles

2-Reasoning and Proof

3-Parallel and Perpendicular Lines

UNIT TWO: TRIANGLES

4-Congruent Triangles

5-Relationships in Triangles

6-Proportions and Similarity

-----where she is right now, between chapters, typical "semester" break after chapter 7------

7-Right Triangles and Trigonometry

UNIT THREE: QUADRILATERALS AND CIRCLES

8-Quadrilaterals

9-Transformations

10-Circles

UNIT FOUR: AREA AND VOLUME

11-Areas of Polygons and Circles

12-Surface Area

13-Volume

What do you think? Just do the whole 2nd half of the book, or something else??

Edited by StaceyZ

Unfortunately the 2nd half of the Geometry course contains the majority of the information/lessons she will need for standardized college placement tests (ACT/SAT). Formula work is important.

Geometry is not a pre-requisite for Algebra 2... Have her keep plodding away at Geometry and go ahead and start her in Algebra 2 this fall... make sure she has time set aside for 2 separate classes.

Thank you for the replies on this! Dd would like to start Alg2 while continuing on with geometry, BUT, I really think we should consider changing geometry courses, if that's do-able. Any recommendations? Is this even possible, realistically?? I posted the TOC (from current Geo book) in my first post above. Has anyone ever changed geo books *mid-year* and started the new book in the middle (roughly)?

I think she will feel quite defeated to start a new geo book from the beginning. IDK. <sigh>

I am wondering if she could do LoF or TT Geometry. But maybe there are others? She's not a math-lover, although really wants to hold her own on the ACT/SAT. For Alg2 she's doing either Lial's or LoF or a combo of both.

Update: I'm going to start a new thread about this since I've changed topics now. lol

Edited by StaceyZ