Menu

Engaging writing program for a reluctant writer?? (strong 7yo)

kailuamom

My ds (almost 7) is a super reader and is ahead of his "grade" in all subjects except writing. I know it likely has to do with his fine motor skills -- his hands can't keep up with is mind so he gets frustrated -- but I was wondering if any of you have suggestions for an engaging writing program that would get him interested in putting thoughts down on paper. We have tried dictation, but he doesn't like it much. He is a "workbook" kind of a guy -- if he has a fun program he will do it more often (makes him feel like a big kid).

Any ideas would be helpful! Thanks in advance!

Have you ever tried note booking for history or science? You read a lesson and he narrates back to you the main idea of the reading along with facts he found interesting. He just watches you write what he says. Eventually you turn some of the writing over to him until he can do it all alone. Most of my sons hate creative writing (although they are strong readers) but don't mind narrations. The collections of writings are also great for seeing all he has studied for the year. We use a three ring binder and page protectors for our notebooks.