Menu

What HW style is A Reason For Handwriting?

Aludlam

We are just about to start 3rd grade and CURSIVE! We have used ZB for print and planned to use it for cursive. If anyone has used the cursive books for A Reason for Handwriting, what style of cursive do you think they are closest to?

Thanks so much

Angela

Thank you for answering. We used book A for a reason for handwriting when my now 3rd grader was smaller. As with most things, I tweaked and essentially she has my exactly handwriting - which I say is closest to ZB. I assume that was the style I was taught in school. Anyway, while looking at the samples for "a reason" I noticed that there was lots of talk about "transition". Could you explain this to me, or at least point me to which book I should purchase for her? She has beautiful manuscript handwriting, but has never been introduced to cursive at all.

thank so much

Angela

My DS9 has just finished A Reason for Handwriting Transition, and he has come a long way. His manuscript has always been okay, but not really neat. His cursive, on the other hand, is beautiful now that he has finished the Transition book, it is much nicer than his manuscript. Now, we just have to keep it up...:tongue_smilie:.

Thank you for answering. We used book A for a reason for handwriting when my now 3rd grader was smaller. As with most things, I tweaked and essentially she has my exactly handwriting - which I say is closest to ZB. I assume that was the style I was taught in school. Anyway, while looking at the samples for "a reason" I noticed that there was lots of talk about "transition". Could you explain this to me, or at least point me to which book I should purchase for her? She has beautiful manuscript handwriting, but has never been introduced to cursive at all.

thank so much

Angela

If I remember correctly, in the transition book, the first half reviews manuscript and the second half introduces cursive. The next level (C?) is all cursive but assumes there has been a prior introduction to cursive. You may want to buy the transition book with the intent of using only the cursive portion since your daughter has nice manuscript writing but no experience with cursive. I think it would be a much gentler and more appropriate introduction to cursive.

Also, I don't think it would be too difficult to teach your daughter to add in some of the extra loops that characterize the ZB style since that is what you are used to.

If I remember correctly, in the transition book, the first half reviews manuscript and the second half introduces cursive. The next level (C?) is all cursive but assumes there has been a prior introduction to cursive. You may want to buy the transition book with the intent of using only the cursive portion since your daughter has nice manuscript writing but no experience with cursive. I think it would be a much gentler and more appropriate introduction to cursive.

Also, I don't think it would be too difficult to teach your daughter to add in some of the extra loops that characterize the ZB style since that is what you are used to.

So, "C" doesn't teach the actual letter formation (for lack of a better word!)? I was concerned about that.

Does anyone know how many Lessons/weeks are in level T or C?

thanks so much for all the answers!

Angela

My DS9 has just finished A Reason for Handwriting Transition, and he has come a long way. His manuscript has always been okay, but not really neat. His cursive, on the other hand, is beautiful now that he has finished the Transition book, it is much nicer than his manuscript. Now, we just have to keep it up...:tongue_smilie:.

I'm glad you had wonderful success with T! I'm trying to figure out if it is necessary, or if we could go straight on into C. Have you looked into the C book?

thanks

Angela

So, "C" doesn't teach the actual letter formation (for lack of a better word!)? I was concerned about that.

Does anyone know how many Lessons/weeks are in level T or C?

thanks so much for all the answers!

Angela

Each lesson in C offers practice of one or more letter, plus a word or words from the week's Bible verse. So instead of teaching a few letters and then using only those letters to write words, it is more a review of a couple letters that are then used in words containing a variety of letters. Does that make sense?

The lessons are structured so that the child practices a letter or two and a word or two each day. Then at the end of the week the child copies a Bible verse. So, one lesson a week with 4 or 5 parts.

My son is doing the T book. The T book has 3 sections to it. Manuscript Practice Lessons, Transitions Lessons, & then Cursive Lessons.

I started my son in the Transition Lessons and there are 45 lessons that teach the formation of the letters and numbers. The Cursive Lessons have 27 weeks of lessons with 5 days work for each week. The Cursive Lessons have you practice letters and words of the Scripture for the week and then on Friday they write it out on the border sheets in their best handwriting.

I can't speak to the C book but I am sure that it follows the same structure of the Cursive Lessons in the T book.

HTH,

Paige

My son is doing the T book. The T book has 3 sections to it. Manuscript Practice Lessons, Transitions Lessons, & then Cursive Lessons.

I started my son in the Transition Lessons and there are 45 lessons that teach the formation of the letters and numbers. The Cursive Lessons have 27 weeks of lessons with 5 days work for each week. The Cursive Lessons have you practice letters and words of the Scripture for the week and then on Friday they write it out on the border sheets in their best handwriting.

I can't speak to the C book but I am sure that it follows the same structure of the Cursive Lessons in the T book.

HTH,

Paige

As for the 45 letter lessons, are those the one page a day type of lesson?

thanks

Angela