Menu

IEW-All Things Fun and Fascinating-Book for each child?

Guest cordexjb

Guest cordexjb

I'm thinking about using IEW's All Things Fun and Fascinating for my 4th and 6th graders. (I've never used IEW, but my understanding is that the Theme-based books can stand alone. Any comments as to the wisdom of this are welcome!)

My main question is this: Is this book meant to be used as a workbook or can assignments be done on separate paper? If it is meant to be written in, would it be practical to make copies of the pages we need? I'm hoping I can present the lesson and then let my kids take turns with the book to do their independent work.

Thanks,

JoAnn

dd-6th

ds-4th

dd-2nd

They're meant to be written in... you could probably get by with having them write their responses on a separate piece of paper but it would be easier if they had their own books. However, IEW does allow you to photocopy materials for use within the same family, so you could copy all the pages in the workbook that need to be written on. It all depends on your budget and how much simplicity is worth to you. :)

I am currently using it with two children, and we only have one book. I have been photocopying the pages we need for each lesson, and it's worked well so far. My boys each have a writing binder that they put all of their writing assignments in. We are half way into the book, and I haven't wished we had another one yet.

I used it to teach a co-op class. Some siblings shared the book. Most of the kids just wrote their answers on notebook paper. It worked well. Most of the assignments are doing a key word outline and that works great on paper. Also, something we did was to do our rough dratfs on computer and then they just had to correct it for a final and them print it out. Worked great. This year, I am going to make them handwrite the rough drafts, just for practice. I LOVED All Things Fun and Fascinating. It is a wonderful book to begin with IEW!!! Have fun!

Guest cordexjb

Thanks for all your responses! Right now budget wins out over simplicity, so I think I will just get one book! I can always change my mind later :)