Menu

Explore the code ?

nknapp5

I was looking at explode the code and they seem to have so many different books. I have a ds 6, knows letter sounds and short vowels can do many 3 letter words and we will be starting OPGTR, so which code book should I get. The sample for ETC 1 looks like review. Then I see there's a get set for the code book, ETC 2 1/2, etc. Can someone clear the confusion, or just tell me what to get?

Edited by nknapp5
spelled wrong

Get Ready for the Code (book A)

Get Set for the Code (book B)

Go for the Code (book C)

are for learning the letters and their sounds. It sounds like your daughter is past needing those.

Books 1 and 1 1/2 have consonant review and short vowel sounds which sounds like your daughter is past those as well.

I think I would start with Book 2 which has initial and final consonant blends.

It's Explode the Code. :) I've just sat down to purchase ETC 5+. We've never purchased the 1/2 books.

I also agree that you might want to start with ETC 2. They're great practice for not only reading, but spelling and handwriting as well. :)

ETC doesn't teach spelling or handwriting, but by doing the workbook, your child gets extra practice. For those subjects, we use All-About-Spelling and Handwriting Without Tears. Love them! We haven't done ETC our entire homeschool time, but use HWT and AAS every week.

I am currently working my way through OPGTR with my DS and also using ETC.

I decided that even though he could sound out short vowel words to review with OPGTR and ETC book 1 to give him more practice with them before we moved onto new material. It has taken us about 2.5 weeks to quickly review lessons 27-40 in OPGTR and go through ETC book 1.

We will be moving onto book 2 in a couple of weeks. Since I use it as review of what we learned in OPGTR there will be a gap in using it because ETC book 2 starts with initial blends and then goes into ending blends where OPGTR does it the opposite. (My DS freaks out at not doing pages in order so we will wait until we have covered all the material in book 2 and then go back and use it as review)

We also use Handwriting without tears and I don't make my son write everything in the ETC books. He just turned 5 and still isn't good at writing more than a word or two at a time. So most of the things that need to be written he tells me what letters to write and I write them, but he does all the circling and crossing out ones by himself.

ETC 1 would be short-vowel review sounds for your son. We are almost through it and we started last week. ETC 2 gets into initial and final consonant blends. ETC 3 gets into one -syllabel words ending in a long vowel (including-y), silent-e words, digraphs (th, ng), digraphs with silent e and vowel digraphs (ee, ao, ow).

We also use HWT for handwriting. One of my twins writes well and does HWT and all the writing in his ETC workbook. For the other, handwriting is a struggle. He does his HWT and will do all the circle or x-out activites in his ETC book. He orallly tells me how to spell all the words and I write out most of them. I make him write about 2 words on pages that include more handwriting.

The 1/2 books are extra practice. I will only buy those when/if we struggle through on of the main books. You do not need the Get Ready, Get Set, Go books.

Hope this helps.

If he isn't opposed to skipping pages (basically starting in the last third of the book and then moving to the front) you could do most of the pages for the ending blends in ETC book 2. The sentence pages do contain words that have initial blends so you would have to skip those or read the initial blend words for him.

If my DS wasn't so opposed to skipping around in workbooks we would move on to doing the basic pages in Lessons 8-10 and skipping the sentence pages, then moving back to lesson 1.

The 1/2 books use different words and have some different assignments. I do use them to give extra reading and spelling practice.

Each lesson has a spelling test that can be given on the last page of the lesson. It's just a picture of the word and they write the word without looking back at the previous pages.

I love Explode the Code!

Ditto the others ...that it sounds like book 2 would be a good place to start.