Menu

The Reading Lesson

mo2

We have The Reading Lessons and it says in the book that your child will be reading at an 1st grade level when complete . 100 Easy Lessons will take your child up to a 2nd grade reading level .

Afterwards I would follow up with Phonics Pathways after using either program .

In my copy of "The Reading Lesson" (copyright 2000) it says that "It takes a child ... to about the second grade level in reading."

My daughter recently finished the book, and I guess that is about right for us.

I don't know any second graders to compare my daughter to. However, based on the informal assessments I've given my daughter and the the books she reads, I'd guess that's about right.

However, that is "second grade level" as far as decoding individual words is concerned, not reading stamina or reading comprehension. My daughter (4 years old) doesn't have the stamina to read as long as a second grader could, and her reading comprehension isn't as good as a second grader's would be. The book does state that it focuses on "decoding" rather than reading comprehension.

All in all, "The Reading Lesson" was a great fit for my daughter and me. I'm not sure what follow-up to do, (if any given my daughter's age). In the fall, I plan to start Spell To Write and Read. However, I don't think that it will do much for reading stamina or comprehension.

with my 5 yo ds. I plan to follow it up with Phonics Pathways. This is what I did with my older ds as well. It worked wonderfully. My dd used 100 Easy Lessons, followed by Phonics Pathways. It worked great as well, but I didn't care for the cluttered pages in 100 EL. I love Phonics Pathways, but it was just too hard for my dc to start with. They needed to start with something that moved more slowly. TRL is perfect to get a dc off and reading, but the phonics in PP is invaluable IMO.