Menu

Curriculum shoppers/hoppers....If they were in school...

The other thing is, like I mentioned before, MY experience is that homeschoolers who pick their materials (whether a full program or picking pieces themselves) and stick with them actually progress academically. .

I would think this would be true.

And, I do think that switching should be a very personal thing- and made with proper discretion! I didn't switch out any item this past year...I finished it or in one case, since it was extra, didn't like it and dropped it. LOL. I will be willing to make changes next year if I have to.

The longer I homeschool the more I realize that it isn't about curriculum at all. It's about teaching. So, now, instead of focusing on curriculum so much, I focus on *my* teaching skills and knowledge. Yes, I use books and workbooks, but I am no longer dependent on them as much as in the past.

Yeah. I have to pay lots of shipping so I can't afford to be too indulgent, but I have bought things I wish I hadn't needed to buy. But my education was not so hot, so if buying some curriculum or other is what I need to help teach myself how to teach a subject, that's what I must do. There's one program I wouldn't have bought in hindsight, but I wouldn't have developed the hindsight if I hadn't so I still think it was a worthy purchase. I'm glad I have started this journey so early. It'd be crazy trying to begin learning all this stuff without having had years of thinking time! I'm hoping I can learn to understand all these subjects inside out so I will be able to tweak the same material, using what I have as a guide rather than a lifeboat! I suspect I'd need to graduate my two kids before I achieve that level. Maybe my grandkids will benefit? ;) Sticking with the same thing because you have the skills to tweak accordingly doesn't sound selfish to me. It sounds like something to be jealous of! Sticking with something because you own it, if you haven't developed those skills doesn't seem so good.

Rosie

Edited by Rosie_0801

Yeah. I have to pay lots of shipping so I can't afford to be too indulgent, but I have bought things I wish I hadn't needed to buy. But my education was not so hot, so if buying some curriculum or other is what I need to help teach myself how to teach a subject, that's what I must do. There's one program I wouldn't have bought in hindsight, but I wouldn't have developed the hindsight if I hadn't so I still think it was a worthy purchase. I'm glad I have started this journey so early. It'd be crazy trying to begin learning all this stuff without having had years of thinking time! I'm hoping I can learn to understand all these subjects inside out so I will be able to tweak the same material, using what I have as a guide rather than a lifeboat! I suspect I'd need to graduate my two kids before I achieve that level. Maybe my grandkids will benefit? ;) Sticking with the same thing because you have the skills to tweak accordingly doesn't sound selfish to me. It sounds like something to be jealous of! Sticking with something because you own it, if you haven't developed those skills doesn't seem so good.

Rosie

I bought a lot more when my oldest was younger, but I was of the mind that if I could just find the right book it would all work out. I know better now!:tongue_smilie: I spent a LOT of money on curriculum in the past, trust me. Now I can't, so that makes it easier as well.:tongue_smilie: I think being exposed to so many different things is what showed me that math is math is math, regardless of what book it is.

There are still subjects I will have to "curriculum shop" for. One is Latin. I did not do Latin with my 12yo due to his LD issues, but I know I will with my 6yo dd. I still struggle with wanting to buy something else, especially when I see people singing its praises on the Curriculum Board! I have Wheelock's for me and Prima Latina for her. I am just going to have to learn Latin myself so that I can use what I can get, KWIM?

If I know the subject, then I can teach it using whatever I have. If I don't know it, then I need the curriculum to do the teaching (which necessitates possibly jumping around - books can't change their styles for different students, KWIM?)

I think being exposed to so many different things is what showed me that math is math is math, regardless of what book it is.

So us poor souls who don't know what maths really is keep buying different teacher manuals and reading and reading, hoping one day that little light bulb will turn on and we'll be able to say what you said :D

I had a conversation with my brother one day that went something like:

Him: So what's geometry?

Me: What do you mean, what is geometry? You passed it, didn't you?

Him: Yeah, I probably did. So what's geometry? And what's it for?

I will keep buying until I've learned enough to be able to say something better than "it's the stuff with all the triangles and you use it to get your quilt patches sitting right." I want my kids to grow up thinking that is a lousy answer, not a good one! :lol:

Rosie

Edited by Rosie_0801