Menu

Going backwards in Math?

I have three children, daughter 2, son 8, and daughter 10. My son has always been pretty quick to catch on to Math concepts and has been enthusiastic and self led in this subject in the past. My daughter who is 10 has just this past school year started to dislike Math. I feel as though she doesn't have enough confidence in Math. I also feel partly responsible because I was assigning workbook pages alot without actually having Math class. I've learned from this mistake and it won't happen again. I would wait for questions, then answer them and explain anything they didn't understand. We did do some hands on Math and played games as well, but not often enough. I had a baby so I guess it really slipped my notice that what I was doing wasn't enough for too long. Anyway, I'm wondering if it would be a good idea for my daughter to go back a level or so in Math so that they are both on the same level. I'm also switching to Singapore and MEP, as well as taking ideas from Miquon for supplementing. Part of me feels like going back will give her confidence, give her insight I failed to give already, and be good review for what she did learn. Another small part of me is thinking won't this set her back? She won't be 'on level'. Yadda yadda. Any opinions?

I am firmly in the mastery camp. If there is not a solid foundation to build on it could all crumble later, and then is much more difficult to build back up.

Given you are moving to Singapore (in part) I would recommend starting with the 3A book. There will be parts that she moves quickly through, but what I wouldn't want her to miss is the bar graphs. That will be used through the rest of the Primary books. That way you both catch bar graphs and do some back tracking. Though don't be afraid to let her move quickly through the sections she really does get.

Heather

There's NO reason you should listen to me. My oldest is 9, I'm still figuring things out, & I have no other experience w/ elem math.

You're still reading. :glare:

Sometimes I think we have...too linear a view of math. As if you *must* learn things in a particular order or the sky will fall in. I wonder if math isn't...more artsy than that. Something to be played w/ & stretched & smooshed.

You're switching curric (& still reading this!)--figure out what level would challenge your dd the right amt (& don't worry if you have to move up or down some), & go w/ it. W/in a range--like, I'm not talking 8th g'ers doing 2nd g math--I don't think "levels" are important. Just. do. math.

I don't even take my own advice. You've been fairly warned. ;)

Thanks for the reassurance. :) I bought 3A/3B so I'm glad to hear someone with experience with Singapore recommending this level! Because she is '5th grade' level 3A/3B sounds like a step back, yk? But I really do think this will be best, I'm just having little nagging doubts and lingering guilt.

Aubrey I do think you're spot on. :)

Going "backwards" is imperative to future success. But if your dd is sensitive, she'll need something to encourage and to give her hope! We had an almost identical situation! : ) What I did with my dd, also at age 10, was to have her two different programs, one in AM and one in PM. I did all the work with her so she wouldn't get discouraged, and she really did well with all my one on one time with her.

I would recommend since you are switching to singapore start with the placement text 2 grades below, then do a test a day (or every other day) and see where she is. Do not be concerned with her being "behind" just be concerned with full and complete understanding!!!!!

ALL homeschool moms make mistakes! The important thing is we learn from them! (the good Lord knows I made too many of my own:blushing:) :grouphug:

Thanks for the reassurance. :) I bought 3A/3B so I'm glad to hear someone with experience with Singapore recommending this level! Because she is '5th grade' level 3A/3B sounds like a step back, yk? But I really do think this will be best, I'm just having little nagging doubts and lingering guilt.

Aubrey I do think you're spot on. :)

Well if it helps we haven't gone backwards, but forward progress has been slow.

My to be 7th grade dd will finish up RS E (considered 4th grade) and start RS Geometry (intended to be done over 2 years by the company) as well as Hands on Equations Algebra (HOE). In Singapore she will be working through level 5, of which she is finishing 5B right now but still has IP 5A and 5B and CWP 5. Long term she will then do Kenetic Books Pre-Algebra after HOE and after she finishes the Primary series of Singapore she will move into Singapore Discovering Math (it is easier than the NEM series that SL carries).

My to be 5th grade dd will finish RS D, start E and work through Singapore 3/4.

My to be 4th grade dd will finish RS C, start D and work through Singapore 2/3.

My to be 2nd grade ds will finish RS B, start C and start Singapore 1.

The nice thing about both programs is the kinda start Algebra early, so when all is said and done my oldest will probably start Algebra I in 9th grade. Not ahead of the game but not behind, and with mastery of basic concepts. It works for me!

Heather

I'm not sure if this is a useful comment, but I'm backtracking DD. We were going too fast through the arithmetic operations, heading for fractions this summer, until I read some other threads here and Liping Ma's book. I'm starting over because I think it's most important to gain a profound understanding of elementary math, so I'm willing to slow down, have her play around with numbers, and understand how to solve a problem using different approaches. It doesn't matter if it's stepping back a grade or two because a firm understanding will help her with higher level math. And, I'm willing to work on elementary math as long as it takes.