Menu

Thanksgiving in June -- need help with Kosher turkey

I'm a big fan of Thanksgiving dinner -- turkey, oyster dressing, cranberry sauce, the whole nine yards. Turkeys are quite expensive where I'm living (they are imported from the US -- Butterball, no less!), and no one in my immediate family (dh or kids) likes traditional turkey dinners. I'm taking advantage of being here to have one with extended family this weekend! :)

So I bought a kosher turkey (a substitute for halaal). I'm not really sure what to do with it now, lol. I thought that koshering involved treating it with salt, so should I look for a recipe that does not include brining? Or should I still brine? Just rub it with oil and salt/pepper and roast?

I haven't made turkey in 100 years, so I'm all ears for any advice/suggestions..

tia!

Kate,

If you haven't made a turkey in 100 years, LOL, you might not know about oven bags. I cannot imagine roasting a turkey without one! I think they are made by Reynolds, and you look for the turkey-sized. This is a cannot-fail, moist, delicious way to cook. You don't even have to add any extra seasoning, although I usually put a peeled onion, a couple carrots and a celery stick in the cavity, and sprinkle some Bell's seasoning on top. Slide it into the bag, sprinkle a Tbsp. of flour in the bottom, cut a few air holes in the top, tie it up, and stuff it in the oven for the specified time (making sure the bag won't touch the element on the top of the oven). That's it! I have even brought the bags and Bell's seasoning overseas and used it to cook a recently-slaughtered farm turkey from the countryside (a gift, of course!) and it even worked for that tough, skinny bird.

Enjoy!

And really curious..... were you really able to get a kosher turkey in an Arab country????????
Lol, no, I'm visiting family in the US for a month(ish). I actually don't consider the turkey there (in the UAE) even halaal, because it's imported from the US. It really is Butterball turkey. I believe some consider it ok because it doesn't contain any pork, but we (dh and I) follow the thought that meat needs to be slaughtered in a specific way (dhabiha). On a related note, I've heard there are kosher restaurants in Dubai :)