Menu

Chalkdust PreCalc for SAT II?

Hi Everyone,

My daughter is hoping to take the Math 2 SAT II after "completing" Chalkdust PreCalc. Looking at the length of the lectures and allowing for ample time for the practice sets and tests, we think that we need to allow 216 days to complete the book (working 1 1/2-2 hours per day). That means she needs to start now, to complete the book by the end of April. This will allow the month of May to review/go through a prep book.

Does anyone know whether there are any chapters/topics included in Chalkdust pre-calc that are beyond the scope of the Math 2 SAT II? I'm thinking that maybe Chapter 11 (limits, intro to Calc) will not be on the SAT II, and she can hold off to cover that as part of Calc. Is that correct? Any other topics?

I'd love to give her a couple of more weeks off before she starts math!

Thanks,

Nancy

I'm bumping this up because I'd like my son to take one of the SAT II math exams next year, too, I was thinking of having him work on Chalkdust Pre-calc from September until the exam in June (so he probably won't have finished all of Pre-calc by then .....) So which math exam should we shoot for?

Myra

• 1 year later...

We are curious about this also. Dd is now doing precalc/larson/chalkdust and I would like her to take the Math SAT 2 in June. Has anybody used this sequence? Would she be theoretically prepared (she would also spend the month before the test doing lots of practice/review) for this?

thanks in advance...wanting to know now so that I can ask the local HS to order a test!!

It's been a few years, but my son took the SAT2 math level 2 exam the June after finishing CD PreCalc. He was very well prepared. He did use a prep book to study a couple of weeks before the test, but he said that he had seen all the topics on the SAT2 in Chalkdust.

BTW, you sign up for the SAT & SAT2 exams through the College Board website. You do not have to have your local school "order" a test. If you are looking at either AP testing or the PSAT -- those DO need to be ordered through the local school.

HTH,

Brenda

thank you! So glad you responded.

I did see the "register now" icon, and I clicked it, but it sent me to the SAT test...but now I am going to try again. Gosh, I thought you still had to have the HS order the test. Dd is taking the AP Geography test next may/june (not sure of dates) so I figured I would book her a spot for both tests...I do have much to learn with Dd being the first to enter high school!

Thanks again!

I've had two finish CD Precalc. It is a very thorough course, and wonderful prep for calc. After taking a quick look at the Wikipedia article about what's on the Math Level 2 SAT II test, it does not look like your students will need to study the last chapter of Precalc. It is on limits, and is virtually the same as Chapter 1 of the Calc book. My two dc skipped the last chapter of Precalc, and did Chapter 1 of Calc instead.

Neither of my two took the SAT II Math 2 test, so I have no firsthand knowledge of it. If I were you, I would get a prep book for the test and look through it to make sure about the subject of limits.

HTH,

GardenMom

My daughter only ended up finishing through chapter 9 by mid April...major health issues from Dec-early March, prepping for the AP Euro exam (got a 5 so it was worth it) and the fact that she really had trouble with the 1st of the 3 chapters on Trig (maybe compounded by health issues).

Anyway, she completed through mid-Chapter 10 through the end of May, and she was just burnt out. She was only in 10th grade, so there was no rush, and we called it quits for the year. After the PSAT in Oct., she will review, complete through ch. 11 and then take the SAT II Math II in January.

Chalkdust PreCalc is a meaty course and is definitely great prep for the test, but the pace to get through it from Sept. to early May (to allow prep time) is just blistering! I know many great students take 1 1/2 years on this and then go on to complete Calc I in 6 months in time for the AP AB exam.

This year the killer looks to be AP Physics B...definitely a blistering pace to get this done by mid-April in time for review!

Nancy