Menu

Saxon math

AliciainNC

I was surprised at how much is review just by glancing through my son's book for next year.

I wouldn't skip it, but I do plan to let him test out of lessons. I've always done this. I do look at each lesson to see if there is something small -- like a trick or something -- that is covered. I take time to teach these.

Short answer that applies to 54 to 87-

The first 1/4 to 1/3 of Saxon math will cover material that was covered in the previous book.

A more specific answer regarding 54 and 65-

54 really dealt with mastering the the 4 operations with whole numbers (multiple digit addition/ subtraction- carrying and borrowing; multiple digit multiplication and division with remainders). These topic were introduced, explored, and built upon.

In 65 the 4 operations with fractions are introduced, explored, and built upon. Because a child will be mastering fraction skills in 65 and due to the incremental nature of Saxon, be sure to cover all fraction lessons even if they are at the beginning of the book.

JMHO-

Mandy

Yes, but addition and subtraction with like and unlike denominators was covered in Saxon 5/4. Reducing and renaming fractions was also covered as well as equivalent fractions. Improper and mixed numbers was also taught. I felt there was extensive practice with all of these.

In 6/5, multiplying fractions isn't covered until Lesson 86; division L. 97. Adding and subtracting with unlike denominators is not even covered until Lesson 134.

Short answer that applies to 54 to 87-

The first 1/4 to 1/3 of Saxon math will cover material that was covered in the previous book.

A more specific answer regarding 54 and 65-

54 really dealt with mastering the the 4 operations with whole numbers (multiple digit addition/ subtraction- carrying and borrowing; multiple digit multiplication and division with remainders). These topic were introduced, explored, and built upon.

In 65 the 4 operations with fractions are introduced, explored, and built upon. Because a child will be mastering fraction skills in 65 and due to the incremental nature of Saxon, be sure to cover all fraction lessons even if they are at the beginning of the book.

JMHO-

Mandy

Yes, but addition and subtraction with like and unlike denominators was covered in Saxon 5/4. Reducing and renaming fractions was also covered as well as equivalent fractions. Improper and mixed numbers was also taught. I felt there was extensive practice with all of these.

In 6/5, multiplying fractions isn't covered until Lesson 86; division L. 97. Adding and subtracting with unlike denominators is not even covered until Lesson 134.

This past year my guy used Key to fractions alongside Saxon 65. When we stared Key to Fractions we even put Saxon up for a month. This allowed ds to achieve the fraction mastery I wanted to see prior to finishing 65.

If you feel that your child has mastered all of the material in the beginning of the book, then run with it. You know your dc best.

We pulled have pulled out 76 and when we look at it we are doing 2 lessons at once (no, drill, both mental math sections, glancing through the lesson, doing the practice orally, and only some of the lesson problems). We will not do Saxon more than a couple of times a week this summer. So, ds won't get very far into it, but may complete much of the review portion. I only started this after ds finished the second lesson and asked if he really had to do all of those nubbly problems.

If this is what you're looking at, this is how we're handling it. I'm not skipping lessons, but we will run through them this summer in a abbreviated fashion. However, I will only keep this up through the first decimal lesson (lesson 34), because although decimals were covered in 65 I viewed that as a cursory intro and didn't expect total mastery (which is how I viewed the fractions in 54).

And as in a previous post, then the plan will be to only do Saxon 4 days a week.

HTH-

Mandy