Menu

Traveling thru NW Illinois to Waterloo Iowa, anything to see?

DH and I are traveling from West Michigan to Waterloo Iowa next week. We will be take I80 thru Illinoise once we get south of Chicago. We stopped last year near Starved Rock State Park. It was a nice break.

Any suggestions for a short stop thru there? I looked at Amana Colonies in Iowa and that would work. We could stop again near Utica for the night, get up the next morning and drive to Amana for a couple of hours. We need to be in Waterloo around 4pm, so we dont' have a huge amount of time.

The Amana colonies are certainly worth the visit. Ronald Reagan's birthplace is off of I-80. I am not sure how far, though.

The Quad Cities has some neat things to see. You might want to do a quick internet search to determine if they are of interest to you.

Galesburg (which is about 45 mins south of I-80) has Knox College, which is the last remaining Lincoln-DOuglas debate site. It is also the home of Carl Sandburg.

Have fun on your travels.

Reagan's home is in Dixon - also you can find the John Deere site where the plow that broke the plains was invented.

Yes, we have been there. My daughter's InLaws live there and we were at a wedding.

John Deere..well, maybe the Amana colonies sounds more exciting. :001_unsure: