Menu

Finally: a nod to apprenticeships and the trades

Jane in NC

There is an article in today's Washington Post on people with college educations entering trades. Here is a quote which echoes things we have discussed previously:

Economists and labor scholars say the rocky economy has been a boon for trade schools. But they also point to policymakers, guidance counselors and parents who don't value the trades and overvalue college as the gateway to success. As a result, American students come to trade apprenticeships relatively late, often after they've already tried college. The average age of the beginning apprentice in the United States is 25; in Germany, 18.

Fascinating article!

"I don't understand the idea that if you go to college, manual labor is beneath you. The critical thinking and communication skills I learned in college are absolutely crucial to getting our work done. It's critical thinking, not just, 'I lift heavy objects.'"

Education is never wasted -- those communication skills and critical thinking skills are essential -- but sometimes it either won't put bread on the table or a desk job isn't what a person wants.

We had a floor installed a few months ago, and the fellow who installed it worked as an electrical engineer for ten years and now loves being the owner of his own company and working with his hands!

Thank you for posting this! I'm going to send it to my brother, a master electrician, who has his own business. He regrets not going to college, but I think he has done at least as well for himself financially and intrinsically as if he'd gotten a degree.

His biggest beefs with being an electrician are that it takes a lot of physical strength, speed, and energy, and that there is a high potential for injury. He's been injured at least a couple of times - once by a high-voltage line that was supposed to be turned off, and once when he fell off a ladder. It's very hard to be injured when your income is dependent on you being healthy and able to work. He loves his independence, though!

GardenMom

Dh is a carpenter. He completed a 5 year apprenticeship many years ago, beginning at 16yo. When I look at what skills / qualifications he had after his apprenticeship compared to what I gained in my 4 years at college, I think his education was more practical. Being "only a chippy" hasn't held him back. Instead he has been able to travel & work over seas for over 26 years & experience things that a college education won't necessarily provide.

We aren't discouraging our dc from going to uni. But we are telling them to look at what job/career they hope to have in 10 years & plan the most effective training plan to get them there. For dd this was 2 years at polytech, with a 3rd year at uni to get her BS-Marine Biology. Ds#1 was told that he may have the opportunity to begin his apprenticeship in Mechanical Engineering in July at age 16. He'll still continue to work on maths & english at home in the evenings, by his choice, not required, but he would be working in engineering full-time during work hours. Ds#2 is focused on becoming an auto mechanic. To help set him on the road to apprenticeship, I'll be talking to our friendly neighbourhood mechanic to see if he is willing to have ds#2 volunteer weekly in his garage. This would ideally turn into an apprenticeship at age 16.

Uni isn't bad, but many times it isn't the best education for what many people end up doing in life. And beginning your career with a huge debt & no experience definitely puts you behind someone with no debt & a few years' work experience.

JMHO,