Menu

Is MCT hard to teach?

Are the teachers guides pretty self explanatory or do I need to sit down and read through the entire manual first to try and teach it? We have used Rod and Staff the past two years, so I'm used to the teachers manual given for that curriculum. Can you tell me what's it's like to teach MCT and are the workbooks pretty self explanatory to the kids? I guess I'm mostly wondering how teacher intensive it is vs. CLE or Rod and Staff.

It's not a workbook type program. I find it easy to teach but it is parent-intensive in that I'm sitting with my DD reading the books together and discussing them.

If you want something that the child can do independently, look for a different program.

I find it incredibly easy to teach--it's open and go. But it's not a program where you hand your child a workbook and then grade it at the end of the day. The strength of the MCT materials (IMO) is that they provide a structure for an ongoing conversation about language: you really need to work closely with your child to get the most out of the program.

I find it incredibly easy to teach--it's open and go. But it's not a program where you hand your child a workbook and then grade it at the end of the day. The strength of the MCT materials (IMO) is that they provide a structure for an ongoing conversation about language: you really need to work closely with your child to get the most out of the program.

:iagree: The tm's are difficult in that they're mysterious. I didn't know that there were materials at the back--they're not listed in the TOC. I couldn't figure out where to start w/ the stack of books (there's a powerpoint on their site that helps w/ this a little).

Finally, I set the timer for 20 min & read. When the thing dinged, I put a bookmark in & stopped. Instead of trying to do a certain # of pgs/day, I just enjoy the 20 min w/ the dc. Some days, we spend the whole time on a story maker page, because they love those (using diff parts of speech to make sentences--dd doesn't mind this, but ds revels in writing somethign grammatically correct but logically ridiculous). Other days we read a lot or review or whatever. I treat MCT like I treat our read-alouds.

Other than copying the ws (which we haven't used yet), I don't do any prep or pre-reading or anything.

MCT is actually one of the easiest to teach, yet mentally stimulating/exciting and most enjoyable programs I've taught.

:iagree: we've completed all but Practice Island, which has inadvertently become indepenent work since dd is so keen to do it that she gets the student book out , completes the day's sentence, then gets out the teacher manual for me and we read the comments together. Couldn't get much easier on the teacher! We're looking forward to carrying on next year.