Menu

First Time SL User...Any Advice?

mom31257

My dd will start SL Core 100 in August. I have to admit that I am a little nervous. I know the IG has the answer keys for the discussion questions, but will I really be able to do it without reading all the books? I will not have time to do that.

I'll welcome any other advice, too! :)

My dd will start SL Core 100 in August. I have to admit that I am a little nervous. I know the IG has the answer keys for the discussion questions, but will I really be able to do it without reading all the books? I will not have time to do that.

I'll welcome any other advice, too! :)

I'm another Amy in GA, using SL. I've not used core 100, but just wanted to give you a friendly bump up ... we love Sonlight so far! :D

We just started with SL a couple months ago.

Just begin letting them get used to the schedule, doing the work on their own and becoming familiar with the system.

Read something that's coming up that looks interesting and talk about it on the swing or in the car. Or don't. Let them read it and have them retell it to you. There's much skill in that. It's a totally different style of learning than in depth analysis and worksheet style curricula. BUT - it works. They like it, so they learn :) Magic.

Let them enjoy it at first. When they're hungry for it, your battle is cut in half, kwim? :)

Dont' try to overanalyze anything and mark one or two places on a map.

Then...see what you need to add in.

SL is very fun for all my kids. They totally enjoy reading for school again. Hallelujah!

I have only done Core K, 1 and 3 (will be doing 2 this year) so maybe this won't apply to the higher level cores but I highly recommend that you spend lots of time reviewing and becoming familiar with the IG, study guides, etc. before implementing. All the paperwork and information contained can be very overwhelming. I also recommend separating out a few weeks of schedules along with the appropriate study guides (those applicable to what week, books, you are currently doing) from the bulk package of paperwork, into a smaller, more managable notebook. For me, having all those schedules and study guides in front of me when I really only need 5 pages or so, is very overwhelming!

We love Sonlight and wish you the best of luck. It is a great curriculum.

Shannon in NC