Menu

RE: MFW Adventures

Julie

I did a search on this and came up with very little. I would like to hear some feedback on My Father's World in general, specifically Adventures. I have always used Sonlight, but am looking to do something fresh with my 7 year old. Likes/dislikes??

I used Adventures several years ago with my oldest son when he was in 2nd grade. It is a fun program. I liked the variety. The names of Jesus study is very precious. I liked the music. The Adventures book list is large and there are quite a few titles that will be familiar to you if you like Sonlight. And, because each week's lesson has a clear focus, you can easily add in whatever literature you want to. I over did it with the book basket and just went way overboard on trying to find just the right books. I felt burned out at the end of the year but that was only because I was just over doing it. Don't try to get every book listed and don't feel guilty if you don't read most of them. I think if I had toned it down, I would have felt better at the end of the year.

My son has very fond memories of that year, so I guess he did fine in spite of me! He learned alot. I am very seriously considering re-doing Adventures next year with my youngest son. My favorite thing about it is the variety of things that the children read and do. There is notebooking but it's not excessive. I hadn't really considered re-doing Adventures until my oldest son started telling my youngest son how much he had enjoyed it. They both got so excited that I had to buy two sets of the state sheets so they can both do them next year, even though my oldest will be doing a different program. One thing I like about it is the incorporation of some picture books. I think my youngest son will really like that. He is beginning to read chapter books but he still enjoys picture books, too. I think the Adventures book list is just right for children at this age when they are ready for longer books but still enjoy the fun of picture books.

Edited by Donna T.

Thanks Donna, I really appreciate the feedback. Your correct about similar titles to Sonlight, I did 3/4 with my older kids, MFW just looks a tad more managable in terms of the volume of books. Also it appears they have more variety. Sonlight often feels like all you ever do is read.:)

I would be curious to know what you did with your older son after this? It sounds like it was not a MFW product?

We finished Adventures last month. We loved it! Dds age 5 & 7 learned a lot and enjoyed the activities. It was a very meaningful and inspirational year for all of us.

My dds really liked the book basket concept. It's so nice for them to have a new basket of relevant books each week and be able to browse through them on their own. Sometimes I chose a few to read aloud together. Sometimes one of my girls chose a book to share with me. At the end of each week, I allow them to choose any they'd like to read more and keep them in their rooms. The rest go back to the library, and new books are put in the book basket. My girls have enjoyed this process so much, they asked me to continue filling the book basket during our summer break.

When we finished Adventures, my dds were honestly sad about it. None of us really wanted it to end, but we are looking forward to MFW Exploring Countries and Cultures next year. In fact, dd (age 6 now) just asked me if we could start today! LOL

Lynne

I would be curious to know what you did with your older son after this? It sounds like it was not a MFW product?

I tried Exploring Countries and Cultures and we didn't like it. We used two years of SL. I ended up using most of the ECC materials while we did Core 2. This year, we are using Heart of Dakota. I love it and it's really my favorite. But, I'm having some placement issues. I haven't ruled out using Heart of Dakota next year because I do really love but it's not "set on stone" yet. If we do Adventures, we will go back to Heart of Dakota after that. Atleast, that's what I'm thinking.

Guest RecumbentHeart
I tried Exploring Countries and Cultures and we didn't like it. We used two years of SL. I ended up using most of the ECC materials while we did Core 2. This year, we are using Heart of Dakota. I love it and it's really my favorite. But, I'm having some placement issues. I haven't ruled out using Heart of Dakota next year because I do really love but it's not "set on stone" yet. If we do Adventures, we will go back to Heart of Dakota after that. Atleast, that's what I'm thinking.

I'm curious, what did you not like about ECC? I had been thinking of *possibly* doing Adventures followed by ECC in place of Bigger and Beyond with my oldest two who would start Adventures at 7 and 5yo if that's what we did. I'm not sure on that yet because although I LOVE the idea of ECC, I haven't fallen in love with what I've read of it but, granted, that has been minimal. I still have a few years to decide though. :D

I'm curious, what did you not like about ECC? I had been thinking of *possibly* doing Adventures followed by ECC in place of Bigger and Beyond with my oldest two who would start Adventures at 7 and 5yo if that's what we did. I'm not sure on that yet because although I LOVE the idea of ECC, I haven't fallen in love with what I've read of it but, granted, that has been minimal. I still have a few years to decide though. :D

ECC has changed alot since I used it. Some of the things that were changed about it probably would have been helpful to me. I didn't like the books. The ones that I did like we had either already read or we were able to easily incorporate into Sonlight. After Adventures, the MFW book lists (the ones you use for your book basket time or to give the children their own readings) are not sorted by grade or reading level. I had been burned out with all the sorting through books that I had done for Adventures (the lists in Adventures are more specific to a particular level, but there are alot to choose from) and I didn't want another year of depending on the library, or having to add books from the book lists that other curriculum providers had, or having to somehow figure out which books were "the best" or what reading level they were on. Some books do have some indication but most of them had little info. - atleast it didn't seem like enough to me. That's probably just my hang-up. I also prefer narrative, story-book like books for young children.

I think MFW is great, it's just not what I'm looking for long-term.

Maybe some who have used and love ECC while share their experiences. I know alot of families really love it.

I used Adventures several years ago with my oldest son when he was in 2nd grade. It is a fun program. I liked the variety. The names of Jesus study is very precious. I liked the music. The Adventures book list is large and there are quite a few titles that will be familiar to you if you like Sonlight. And, because each week's lesson has a clear focus, you can easily add in whatever literature you want to.

:iagree: I used it with oldest ds for 1st grade and was pleased. The state sheets became a bit redundant toward the end, but I changed things up using the notebooking pages from www.NotebookingPages.com. I've moved to TOG now that my family is larger, but I'll probably pull things from Adventures for the younger ones when I'm doing heavier stuff with the olders.

OK, so in addition to the books in the Basic or Deluxe package there is a list of books in the IG and you get them from bht library?

Anyone have any additional feed back on the ECC? It appears to be heavy geography rather than history.

OK, so in addition to the books in the Basic or Deluxe package there is a list of books in the IG and you get them from bht library?

Yes, each TM has a book list in the back. It is huge. You can use the library, buy books, or use whatever you have on hand as they fit into the program.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience, it sounds great. I have been toying with MFW or WP since I would like to do something new with my youngest. The price point of MFW is certainly appealing, and it appears like they have good activities which are lacking in Sonlight.

Did you also do Adventures? The web site says to start there if you are not doing the program with older kids. I wonder if I could start in either place. Although it appears that adventures is geared specifically for a 2nd grader which I have.

I haven't used MFW yet, but we will be starting Adventures next school year (unsure whether that will be July or August) for my 2nd grader. I purchased the TM used and read through the entire thing in one sitting. I think we're going to love it!

Did you get just the TM, and you will buy the books? Did you get lucky and find it used. :) Glad to hear you like it, I am definately leaning in that direction.

I just purchased the TM used. I already had several of the books from the basic package and have picked up a few more used. I have a few more books to purchase and then it'll be complete.

I saw some used Adventure TM's and packages for sale on www.homeschoolclassifieds.com. Good luck!

We are just finishing up Adventures. This year was fun and educational. Our best so far. This was our first year using MFW. We absolutely loved it. We will continue to use MFW for years to come. The TM is user friendly and well written. There are great activities that kids enjoy. You should go for it.;) If you are looking to buy used let me know. I have the basic package with some read alouds, Animated Heroes VHS tapes, and some book basket books.

In August we will use Exploring Countries and Cultures. It looks great as well!

Marsha

Edited by marsha617
add one more statement

Thanks Donna, I will see about finding them in DVD, we no longer own a VCR.

Marsha, I sent you a PM. Thanks for your input.

Does anyone happen to know if there is much difference between the 1st and 2nd edtion TM's? Sonlight hardly changes theirs at all, to my mind there is no point to buying from them new if you can find a used TM. Just wondering if it is the same for MFW.

The book, Exploring American History, was replaced with an abridged version. I believe MFW printed the newer, abridged version themselves. I can't think of any other changes. If you do buy a used TM, you will need to make sure you also get Exploring American History to go along with it.

I don't even see that book on the web site.....perhaps switched to a differnt book?

The book The Story of the US is the "new" book that replaces Exploring American History. If I understand correctly, the Exploring book is a higher grade level text and the new book is more age appropriate, but I think the new is an excerpt from Exploring? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I considered purchasing the new Adventures pkg because of this, but decided to go used since I was unsure if we were really going to use the program.

Edited by TN Mama

We are just finishing up Adventures and we had a great year!!! I did add in more books, particularly the whole entire Little House on the prairie series. It was a hit. I gave up using the book basket after awhile because it became too overwhelming for me but I added in books I had that coincided with what we were studying.

It was our favorite time of the day. I am moving on to ECC and am very excited to start that after our success with Adventures. I used the old version and felt it met our needs just fine. Our children loved American Patriots and Pioneers and are so sad we finished the book yesterday. Exploring American History was a little over thier head but I think that's o.k. too.

I think the new is an excerpt from Exploring? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I believe that is correct. I don't think they changed the text. They just abridged it.

I have all the Little House books. If we do Adventures, I plan to have my son use those for his readers. He will be a 3rd grader and they are right at his level.

I did a search on this and came up with very little. I would like to hear some feedback on My Father's World in general, specifically Adventures. I have always used Sonlight, but am looking to do something fresh with my 7 year old. Likes/dislikes??

After 10 years with Sonlight I will be doing Adventures next year and I am so excited I can hardly stand it. :) I can't give you any feedback yet but I'd love to have some others on the journey with me. :) I'll be doing it with my 2nd and 3rd graders.

Amy I have decided I will be joining you! Looking forward to hearing about how you like it after Sonlight.

Have you bought your materials yet? I am trying to decide about the 1st or 2nd edition......:)

The Story of the US is the MFW-published abridged version of Exploring American History. They made it because the edition they were using for Adventures went out of print.

The 1st edition of Adventures has the student pages you can copy out of the back (except it does not come with the state sheets and stickers...but I think this year you can still buy those separately from one of MFW's later years - who knows how long that'll last though). The 2nd edition doesn't have the sheets to copy, you buy the student sheets (for something like $5 more than just the state sheets - so it is probably worth buying them anyway).

We are 14 days from finishing our ADV year, and have had a blast! :)

Deb

The Story of the US is the MFW-published abridged version of Exploring American History. They made it because the edition they were using for Adventures went out of print.

This is correct. You can use 1st edition TM if you have the 1st edition of Exploring American History.

The 1st edition of Adventures has the student pages you can copy out of the back (except it does not come with the state sheets and stickers...but I think this year you can still buy those separately from one of MFW's later years - who knows how long that'll last though). The 2nd edition doesn't have the sheets to copy, you buy the student sheets (for something like $5 more than just the state sheets - so it is probably worth buying them anyway).

To clarify this just a bit....

The 1st edition TM included all the appendix pages that you needed to photocopy. The state sheets came in the form of a coloring book (I think it was Dover?). Now, instead of doing all that photocopying and also buying a separate coloring book (and flag stickers and whatnot) for the states, you just buy the Student Sheets which include everything. They adjusted the price of the TM accordingly.

Here's the link to a post by David where he explained in more detail: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8648&p=57970#p57970

We LOVED Adventures, btw. :001_smile: It's not exactly "protocol" to use ADV when your oldest child is older than 2nd/3rd grade, but I'm going to use it with my youngest dd next year, anyway. :D My oldest is doing high school now and works independently, and my middle dd doing something different at her own level won't be a big deal. I'm looking forward to spending time with an old friend! (ADV) ;)

Thanks for the clarification Donna. It sounds like one could go either way in terms of the edition. However, I am still undecided.

Are the Story of the US and Exploring American History the same content?

Are the Story of the US and Exploring American History the same content?

From what I understand based on messages on the MFW message board, these books contain the same content. Exploring American History, however, is longer than the Story of the US; it contains more content than is needed for the Adventures program. Adventures assigns certain pages in Exploring American History. My understanding is that this book went out of print, and MFW had the Story of the US printed as a replacement. My understanding is that the Story of the US contains the same content that Adventures uses, but it is a shorter book overall because it does not contain the "extra" information. Hopefully this makes sense.

You may want to call the MFW office to confirm all of this. They are always so helpful there!

Edited by applesing
edited to fix a typo

Amy I have decided I will be joining you! Looking forward to hearing about how you like it after Sonlight.

Have you bought your materials yet? I am trying to decide about the 1st or 2nd edition......:)

Yea!! Yes I bought my materials. I got the 2nd edition and am happy with it. I liked being able to just buy the student pages vs photocopying them. :)

To clarify this just a bit....

The 1st edition TM included all the appendix pages that you needed to photocopy. The state sheets came in the form of a coloring book (

to clarify this a bit more

The Dover book was a short term patch for about 3 months in the first, hot off the presses edition of ADV in spring 2005 right as the pilot program was being finished. The state sheets have been part of the program since right after that. They were waiting for the State Sheets to be finished and didn't want to leave customers without any product. But the coloring book was a short term not really part of 1st edition ;)

Quoting from David Hazell on his board

"Last year (2009) Adventures student materials included State Sheets and Cards ($12.95), State Flag Stickers ($2.25), and copying costs for all the appendix pages. This year new expanded Student Sheets for Adventures will cost $19.95 each instead of $15.20 each, plus copy costs. When including paper costs, printer/ink costs, and labor, it almost impossible to copy all Adventures’ appendix pages for $4.75. It is always our goal to save customers money. "

also from MFW's staff

"

Question: Why has the book Exploring American History in Adventures in My Father's World changed?

Answer: This version of Exploring American History has gone out of print. My Father's World has reprinted the portions of the book used in Adventures and updated the Teacher’s Manual to match the updated book. The updated book is called The Story of the U.S. The content has changed very little in the new book. Exploring American History works just as well as The Story of the U.S. when used with its corresponding Adventures Teacher’s Manual. The Story of the U.S. will not work well with a previous version of the Teacher’s Manual because the page numbers will not match."

from me?

I'd go with 2nd edition student sheets no matter which manual you have.

If you get 1st edition manual and are willing to deal with page number issues with newer book, then ok. If you can find the original first edition Exploring American History, and have 1st edition.

sometimes it is just easier to get the things that match instead of piece mealing with a headache. make it easy on mom and life is easier.

good luck whatever you do.

-crystal

Did you start with ECC, if so how did your younger ones like it? My daughter is 7 and 2nd grade next year. I was planning on doing adventures but got my hands on a ECC TM, not sure if I should save it or just go ahead with it next year.

Might be best to go ahead with ECC and have her do the Ancients the following year which is where my older two will be starting the high school cycle. Although there does not appear to be much, if any overlap between the CtoG and the high school ancient history.

Did you start with ECC, if so how did your younger ones like it? My daughter is 7 and 2nd grade next year. I was planning on doing adventures but got my hands on a ECC TM, not sure if I should save it or just go ahead with it next year.

Might be best to go ahead with ECC and have her do the Ancients the following year which is where my older two will be starting the high school cycle. Although there does not appear to be much, if any overlap between the CtoG and the high school ancient history.

CTG and AHL are very different. They would be on the same time period, which is nice because you can bring the topics to the dinner table and everyone's on the same page... oldest just has a lot more information and detail, with different books. That's what we've done this past year.

Last summmer we started ECC (dropped it to do history, picking it back up again now for the rest of summer), and my 7yo (6 last summer) participated just fine. There's plenty for her to do at her own level. It was also good for her to learn directions, recognizing things on a map, etc. Our scheduled weekly nature walks were a nice addition to the science.

But I've got a secret. I'm doing Adventures with 7yo anyway. ;) We'll do that during her 1-on-1 time with me while 11yo is doing her independent work. Not sure I could do this if I had more children, but with the age gaps here, I think it'll be just fine. Then she'll participate in our ECC group stuff as well. We'll actually do ECC Bible with Dad, either in the mornings before he leaves, or in the evenings after dinner, haven't decided which one yet.

Just some different ways of doing things... We get bored easily. :lol:

Great input, again thank you so much. ECC and Adventures both sound really fun, it is hard to decided which way to go. My big two and my little one are so spead out keeping them on the same topic may not be terribly realistic.

I bought a used TM for ECC last week so once I have it in my hands that may help. I find myself not wanting to pass on the Adventures as I have all the deluxe readers which I know she would love. That said, I also have the deluxe readers for ECC and I am sure she would like those as well.

It seems to me that I herd someone say that the science in Adventures was more hands on does that sound right to you?

I hope you will post your experiences with both, I would enjoy hearing how things are going for you.

It seems to me that I herd someone say that the science in Adventures was more hands on does that sound right to you?

Yes. :)

You know, she's young enough that there's no reason you couldn't go ahead and do Adventures with her now, then ECC the following year. (Unless of course you decide you want to combine.) Just save all the goodies you have on hand for ECC. ;) Is the TM you have 1st edition or 2nd? One way to tell is if the Book Basket titles appear in a short list *by continent* at the beginning of each unit, or if they appear in a longer list at the back of the TM.

I bought the 1st edition used, it was a bargain I could not pass up. It is not here yet, but I can't wait to see it. Any advice on using it?

It sounds like I could really go either way and be fine, ECC or Adventures.

I bought the 1st edition used, it was a bargain I could not pass up. It is not here yet, but I can't wait to see it. Any advice on using it?

It sounds like I could really go either way and be fine, ECC or Adventures.

Yep, you could.

In 1st edition ECC, you had to make the geography game yourself. I never did 1st edition so I haven't experienced that, but I hear it was pretty time-intensive. 2nd ed. is more user-friendly. However, 1st ed. is still quite doable. Perhaps you could order the Parent-Teacher Supplement (and maybe Student Sheets) from what's on the website now and use those instead of the Appendix pages that are in the 1st ed. manual. That way you wouldn't have to make the game from scratch.

You can also make the Passports that are in 1st ed. Appendix, but they now sell these nice little Passport booklets that are pretty neat.

Of course those things are optional.... you don't HAVE to buy any of the items I mentioned to be able to do 1st edition. They would make it easier on your prep time, though.

Once you decide whether you're going with ADV or ECC, let us know and we'll help you pull together the details. :001_smile:

Thanks Donna, you have been super helpful. The Home School conference is here this weekend and MFW will be there, I am excited to see it.

At the moment I am leaning towards Adventures and saving the ECC, then I will have a year to collect the items. I am hoping to find a used copy on the boards, or maybe just come home on Saturday with the whole shi-bang. :)

Thanks again for all your help!!!