Menu

in search of secular anatomy

charmama4

My eldest did an Anatomy Coloring Book at about 11-12. It might have been for high school, but worked fine. We used trade books younger than that, and one had been given to us. They didn't make a curricula, but my dc learned. I can't find the one they used when younger right now (ds has to tidy his room) but it was a Scholastic First Discovery Book that has the clear pages. It had a great section on muscles, internal organs, bones, etc with clear pages so you could lift each layer and see what came next.

ETA the title of the sholastic book is The Human Body & it's part of that series I mentioned.

Edited by Karin

My 11yo is using a few sources. Gray's Anatomy, A Fact-Filled Coloring Book is working well for us. There are a few paragraphs of excellent text to go along with each coloring page, which has realistic line drawings and labelled parts. The pictures are not cartoony, and could easily be copied for multiple kids.

From there, we look up the body part in DK Publishing's The Human Body Book. The text in this one is geared towards the 12+ crowd I suppose, but the pictures would be fascinating for any age and can be a resource for years to come. We found several wonderful large, colorful anatomy books along these lines at the bookstore, so we just paged through til we found our favorite.

One other source we have stuck with, but I can't recommend, is Scholastic's The Body Book, Easy to Make Hands-on Models that Teach. If the youngers like to cut and glue, the simplistic models can effectively help explain how body parts work or fit together. The instructions were unnecessarily complicated, though, and I didn't find much use for the text. We just used this one to make copies to form some of the paper models.

Edited by BridgeTea