Menu

Miquon is driving me insane....

Tress

After all the threads about Miquon, I really wanted to like it.

But.....it is not working. Not working at all!!

(BTW, I bought all the teachers books, read them and liked what I saw. I am mathy myself.)

Situation:

my 6yo dd has finished Singapore 1A and 1B. We had just started 2A, but I thought that Miquon would make a nice summer break. Ummm, no. She is not really interested in the rods (although she likes to build houses with it) and we have not been able to find the right place for her to start. I have printed the Orange and Red book, presented the pages as puzzles, told her we might have to search a bit to find the right level....but no, everything is either to easy and thus booooring or it is stuff she hasn't yet encountered (fractions), but then she refuses to use the rods or to figure it out herself. What am I missing?? :banghead:

My 3-almost-4yo dd loves playing with the rods, but does not want to do the early pages. She insists -as the typical 3yo she is-, that she wants to do the stuff with numbers and sums (later in the book), but she is totally not ready for that, doesn't yet have the fine motor skills to write, doesn't yet recognize the numbers.

Oh, and I have a 22month old who likes to throw the rods everywhere.

And I'm pregnant and constantly vomiting (I'm writing this with a bucket beside me :blink:).

Can I now go back my regularly scheduled Singapore? :001_huh:

At least then I feel like I'm doing something, now all I have is chaos. Help.

If she has started Singapore 2A she probably needs to work on Miquon Blue. Orange would be too easy, as would most of Red.

The fraction pages (H) where you draw hats, hair, bats, etc on 1/4 or 1/2 or 1/8 of the snowmen/children/whatever were always a big hit with my children. (I don't remember exactly which book these are in, but they are in two of the early books, Orange-Green.)

The "draw a line to/circle all the number sentences that make ______" pages sprinkled throughout all the books went over well, too.

Other fun pages were the Grid and Arrow pages (I don't remember what book), and the graphing/mapping pages in Purple.

However, if she is learning well with Singapore and enjoying it, you don't have to use Miquon if it isn't fun for her. Just because other children enjoy it doesn't mean she will.

Hi!

I am just introducing Miquon to my dd 6, almost 7, and ds newly 4. We are still just playing with the rods. The kids don't even know that lab book pages exist yet. Because we are working through RS B & Singapore 1a, this is for solidifying mathematics concepts, not primary instruction so I am happy to take things slow. I am a complete newbie with Miquon, but from what I understand the playing with the rods time buids the inherent understanding of the reltionships of the rods to one another. I also have a couple activity books that encourage building of different types of structures with the fewest blocks possible.

So, if you are comfortable with it, just let the kids play & build. Occasionally guiding discussions about how many of x rods does it take to make 1 y rod. And other activities that are listed int the first couple months of the first grade teachers diary.

It sounds like you had a very productive year with math already and you have your hands more than full, so if builiding can be fun , great , if not, give yourself permission to put it away.

HTH

Jesi

If it ain't broke, don't fix it :tongue_smilie:

Thanks, Amber.

What was I thinking?! Well, I was actually thinking :D....I was looking for something for my 3-almost-4yo. Not to workbooky, but something special for her 'school'. Miquon looked like a nice idea. Then I decided to include my 6yo...and that was probably not such a good idea.

If she has started Singapore 2A she probably needs to work on Miquon Blue. Orange would be too easy, as would most of Red.

Kathleen/Spock, thanks. That probably explains it. My dd is a delight to teach, except when she thinks it is too easy....then her whole behaviour changes for the worst.

Jesi, nice to see that you are also introducing Miquon to your children, they are very close in age to my kids! I knew that my 6yo dd would not be interested in the rods, so I immediately introduced the pages.

I'll have to think about what to do now, let her play and start again with Singapore, or try Miquon Blue. I'm so nauseated that even making small decisions like these are making my head spin. Everything has the potential to drive me insane at the moment :lol:.

Let her build houses. :grouphug:

Keep up with Singapore or just take a break while the morning sickness passes.

Thanks, Paula. I just wish this morning sickness would go away, but if it as anything like my last two pregnancies, it will last until birth.