Menu

Atlanta Anyone?

Hi Sandee,

Welcome! Gwinnett has many groups, activities and park days. You should start by signing up for the yahoo PEACH Homeschool group or look on facebook.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PEACHHomeschool/?yguid=373056579

Depending upon where you are (the county is pretty big) you can find one close to you...

We're close to Dekab/Fulton/Gwinnett tri-county area.

Plus Classical Conversations is pretty big down here. We don't participate but I thought you might be interested.

Hi,

I don't know where you are from but I think you will love Atlanta. We have hot and steamie weather in the summer and mild winters with only a few days really cold enough for a thick coat. We have plenty of shopping, attractions (GA Aquarium in a must see), sports events, museums, etc.

There are many homeschool groups and some in the area you will be living. Oh......and we all speak with very southern accents and you will as well after a year or two.

You won't like the traffic in your area but you will get used to it. I live west of Atlanta and our traffic isn't as bad but we drive further for the fun things. Hoping you are a homeschooler so you don't have to fight the morning traffic to get kids to school-it's a nightmare in Gwinnett County. We are a couple of hours from the mountains and about four hours from SC and GA beaches and FL panhandle beaches. Hurry if you want to see those sugar white beaches in FL, the oil is on the way to their shores quickly.:crying:

The people are friendly, driving is bad, and a car is a must have item (not much public transportation available).

Hope to get to know you.

Carolyn in GA

Okay, I feel better now, smile!. There for a minute thought we would be alone. Thanks so much ladies. I did join the yahoo group and I am really looking forward to meeting the homeschoolers in the area. We will arrive in Lawrenceville around the end of June and I am rather excited about getting that Southern accent.

We are coming from Pennsylvania so the south will be a bit of a change for us, but I am really looking forward to it. We do homeschool so trafiic will not be an issue for , yipee!

Being close to the Beach is surely a plus.

I'm from GA, but moved to PA after college. Married a PA guy, and lived there for 13 years. We moved back to GA a few years ago. I love Atlanta, and being near family, but I also miss PA. Where are you coming from?

We are in Fayetteville now, so on the other side of the city--which might as well be the other side of the world! LOL! We're not too far from the airport.

HOpe your move goes well.

• 1 month later...

Welcome to 'the ATL'! We're in Snellville, GA, really, really close to Lawrenceville. We're also from Harrisburg with lots of family in Carlisle, Pittsburg and Philly. It's very different here, as you'll soon see. I had to get used to people who actually nod and smile at you on the street vs. being very 'to themselves', like I was used to.

You'll quickly figure out that 'around the corner' could mean 5 mins or 45 mins. because ATL is one huge suburb. You're very close to the cities of Lilburn, Snellville, Stone Mountain, Norcross and Duluth. But Gwinnett county is huge with the largest school system in the South East, if not the nation.

Check out the Gwinnett County library system, it's wonderful. There are 15 branches that work together. You can check out at any branch and return materials to a different branch, you can request books online and pick up at any branch you choose, ect... The system is very user friendly.

Gwinnett County Public Library

The Homeschool population here is large as well, with many, many opportunities. I'm not sure of the age of your kids, but you can check out a few things like Lilburn Academic Classes or LAC

and Grace Notes Homeschool Conservatory

which is a homechool music program in the area.

There is also Barons Basketball

and Georgia Force High School Athletics

And try to check out the Southeast Homeschool Expo at the Cobb Galleria if you're able.

There is so much more to do, those are just things I'm thinking of off the top of my head.

OH, and Gwinnett County parks are wonderful!

Feel free to PM if you have any questions.

Ava

I am about 15mins from Lawrenceville. There are a lot of homeschoolers here and a lot of activities.

If your kids like music there is a homeschool band in Lilburn--Grace Notes.

Homeschool science classes at the Gwinnett Environmental and Heritage Center---great for all ages!

Homeschool Kayak Fall/Spring in Gainesville.

A LOT of co-ops and homeschool sports programs around.

Yes we do participate in Grace Notes.

Awesome, I wonder if we know one another. This was our last year, but we'd been there since it began a few years ago. My dd played trumpet in the Int/Adv. concert band and the jazz band as well as playing for the Marching Band. She also sang in the chorus for a year.

What does/do your student/s play?

Ava

Awesome, I wonder if we know one another. This was our last year, but we'd been there since it began a few years ago. My dd played trumpet in the Int/Adv. concert band and the jazz band as well as playing for the Marching Band. She also sang in the chorus for a year.

What does/do your student/s play?

Ava

Last year was our first year. My ds was in Beginners Band playing the clarinet and my dd was in Beginners String.

Was your dd the one that Mr. Uterhardt commented on, at the May concert, that would play any instrument he asked?

I think that was her friend Nikki, she's 16 and plays about 5 or 6 instruments and sings soprano in the chorus. She's a very talented young lady.

My dd is actually very shy. She was playing with my husband Todd, he plays trombone, during the Jazz band performance. I think they even had a solo.

My dh is the former marching band director. They did a little mini performance during the concert. I don't think my dh mentioned that he hadn't met with them in about 5 mos. (marching season over and his new job will no longer accommodate the schedule) So they hadn't played with him in a while. I was pleasantly surprised at how much they remembered without having practiced.

Anyway, I hope your children enjoyed Grace Notes. It has a lot to offer and has grown to more than double the size it was when it first began 3 years ago.

Ava