Menu

Connections Academy Gifted and Talented

I have looked at Connections and currently use a K12 charter school and their SOAR program. I have gone to their info sessions several times and they did not have me sold on their school. K12 curriculum from what I have read on message boards is a more rigorous curricula. I could be wrong though. The advanced learners program that ds uses really is not advanced for him at all. He enjoys the weekly mandatory one hour class for SOAR since there are other kids but really it does not teach him anything new at all. K12 allows you to advance in LA and Math only and keeps the rest grade level. I would ask very detailed questions about curricula, mandatory classes and testing, advancement, etc. I will have my ds do only one more year of K12 I think since I will be able to better meet his needs via traditional homeschooling IMHO.

• 1 month later...

2007-2008 school year, with Capistrano Connections Academy (they switched curriculum the following year). DD1 was in 5th Grade GT LA, DS1 was in 3rd Grade GT LA and Math.

GT LA accelerated the regular LA lessons, by combining some of the lessons, and added a literature class, which "met" once a week in a virtual classroom. GT Math did the same acceleration by combining lessons.

My daughter used Connections academy for 3 years. They didn't offer gifted programs for K-3, so we were doing 1 grade ahead math curriculum. We used Calvert math which was a good supplement to RS/SM PM. Last year we decided against their math program (they switched to more entertaining math which I didn't like at all. I watched a preview of several lessons on-line). My daughter was taking their social study, French/Latin, Spanish(didn't like it at all), computer science, music. She was one grade ahead in subjects so we used it instead of Gifted and Talented option:).

We used a state funded option but they took it away in January. If it was available for us we would continue with French/Latin, computer science and music. My daughter really liked her French teacher.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought about using Connections for my ds but ended up using K12 (long story). However, I believe now that it was the right decision. At connections they have the gifted LA and Math programs but you are only able to do 2 years. At K12 you move at your pace. Last year ds did 2 years of math and this year I think he may be able to do 3 years of math, we will see. At connections I do not believe that he would be able to do 3 years. So, I like the fact that if it is easy we can move onto harder/new material, be this in math or LA.