Menu

Starter *mystery* books for my sleuth happy 11/12 yr old?

battlemaiden

Guest Lorna

Our children are in the middle of enjoying 'The Westing Game' by Ellen Raskin. It is about several families mysterious sent letters offering them luxury appartments in a town in Wisconsin for an exceptional price. They move into the specially allocated appartments that, rather mysteriously, have glass that it is easy to see out of but the realtor claims is impossible to see in through from outside. They all overlook the old house of Mr Westing, the millionaire founder of the town, and they all turn out to be Mr Westing's heirs. But when he dies after not having been seen for over a decade, his will states that one of them is his killer and they must discover who it is.

The style is a sophisticated Roald Dahl, with humour and plenty of page-turning cliff-hangers.

It was recommended to me here as a good read aloud. It would be great as a starter sleuthing book.

Our children are in the middle of enjoying 'The Westing Game' by Ellen Raskin. It is about several families mysterious sent letters offering them luxury appartments in a town in Wisconsin for an exceptional price. They move into the specially allocated appartments that, rather mysteriously, have glass that it is easy to see out of but the realtor claims is impossible to see in through from outside. They all overlook the old house of Mr Westing, the millionaire founder of the town, and they all turn out to be Mr Westing's heirs. But when he dies after not having been seen for over a decade, his will states that one of them is his killer and they must discover who it is.

The style is a sophisticated Roald Dahl, with humour and plenty of page-turning cliff-hangers.

It was recommended to me here as a good read aloud. It would be great as a starter sleuthing book.

This is the mystery book both my 9 and 11 just devoured from the library! I completely forgot about it. :001_smile:

I must confess I didn't read it before them (they got to it before I could) so your description is very helpful to me!! ;) You were able to bring their intermingled narrations into a cohesive picture.

Thanks so much.

Nancy Drew/Hardyy Boys? Since they have been

"updated for every generation," the older editions are a higher reading level and don't address people as "Dude"

Our progression went:

Encyclopedia Brown

Famous Five series by Enid Blyton

Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys (PRE_1975 editions )

Sherlock Holmes

Father Brown (just gave to ds16)

My dc seem to like series, as opposed to individual books. Any suggestions for girls in between Sherlock and Father Brown woulld be appreciated.