Menu

Question for Saxon Users? Algebra II and Advanced

Summer fever is hitting hard around here. My ds is on Lesson 97 of the Algebra II book. How important is it to finish the book completely before starting Advanced Math?

He has proposed that he could not finish this book and just jump in and start AM in August with no problem. I can see from looking at the table of contents that there is some overlap and I know from past experience that Saxon has lots of review at the beginning of books bt I'm unsure if it would be better for him to go ahead and finish out Algebra II (either now or in August when we start back up) or just make a jump into Advanced in August.

Any input greatly appreciated. He's hoping for the easy out :) but, of course, back during basketball season when he was travelling with his team and got behind, he assured me that it would be no problem for him to work on math through the summer :) Ahh, how one's perspective changes when the weather turns warm!

Thanks a lot!

My dd says it's "very important." She says a lot of new material is covered, including logarithms. He only has about 32 lessons left, but doing one a day would probably bring him almost to the beginning of next year. I'd suggest doing that and doing the tests on the same day as a lesson, so he can finish in about six weeks.

Edited by Teachin'Mine

the Advanced Math book is hatefull in my opinion. :glare: don't get me wrong. it's a GREAT program. but I think AM is the hardest of all the Saxon books... and we've done the Calculus and Physics too! so in my opinion, i would definitely not skip finishing Alg 2. he'll LOVE Alg 2 compared to AM! :)

The 'review' in Advanced Math does not include the teaching!

Finish the Algebra 2 text then move on--the first few lessons in Advanced Math may be 'easier' on the REVIEW problems--but for the most part it jumps right on in with new material.

:iagree:

I agree with those of you who say to finish the book. We have just finished Saxon Alg II and will begin AM in August. We completed the Alg II because we are awarding a Geometry Credit along with the Alg II and AM credits. Formal Geometry is covered in the last half of Alg II and the first 63 lessons of AM. You will miss much of the needed Geometry if you stop now.

When I was principal in private school, I knew that the scope and sequences of each book overlapped at about lesson 100 and there are at least 34-36 review lessons in the beginning of each book, so in elementary up through Algebra I we only required completion of 100 lessons and more if possible. In any given year we had snow days, tornado (no power days) and one year a week without water so this was the guideline we adopted to cover the material and not have to do two weeks of make up days to finish a math book. The only level we did not do that in for Saxon was Alg II and AM. Whether you need the Geometry credit or not, it is not a good idea in Alg II to take a shortcut at the end of the book. It would be better to pick up Alg II and finish it next year and do AM up to lession 63 and complete the rest of AM the year after next year.

Edited by Georgia On My Mind