Menu

Do cookie sprinkles expire?

I just threw out nearly all of ours because they were 5-10 yrs old. Then I looked again, & some of them actually say c2003, as in copyright. Which could simply mean the art.

But in those cases, there's no other date. I've had them...a while. I know mom had the same sprinkles in her cabinet the whole time we were growing up, so I doubt it's a *big* deal, but...

WWYD?

Depends what they were stored in. I find that they only last a few years if in a plastic baggie, a bit longer if in tupperware. Both tend to get them soggy-ish and the plastics impart a chemical taste. Air-tight glass with tin lid would save them for even longer. My grandmother puts them in baby food jars and they stay fresh tasting (not soggy or tasting like other things) for tens of years.

Interesting about the c2003 art! :tongue_smilie:

I bought non-pareils from King Arthur Flour in...well, I am not going to tell you what year. They said they expired in one year. We are still using them and are not dead yet. Since they are mostly sugar and VERY highly processed, and the amount used per serving is so miniscule, I am not really worried.

But I am out of some colors, so maybe I'll buy a whole new big batch this year and toss the 10 year old ones