Menu

Need a advice on where to stay for Washington, D.C. trip

We are going to D.C. as a family. Kids have never been, dh and I only went at ages 14 and 15.

Where can we stay that is not more than $150/night? Or am I fooling myself? I have some tour books for D.C. (Fodor's) and tried to get prices for a hotel they listed in the 150-200 range and it came back as 280/night! :eek:

That was in the Capitol area...should I look in Bethesda, near a Metro stop?

Someone point me in the right direction! Or tell me to start rebudgeting.

Thanks so much!

We got a great deal recently through expediatravel.com.

We were in a hotel about 8 blocks from the White House- in a suite with bedroom, living room and kitchen. We could walk to downtown- then took the Metro back. It was really spacious and the fact that we could bring our own food really helped our budget :-).

I forget the name of the hotel, but do look at the expediatravel site.

Generally, Sun-Thur nights seem to be MUCH more expensive than Fri-Sun, though.

HTH!

http://www.washingtonsuitesgeorgetown.com/

I can't personally vouch for it, but my co-leader loved it when she stayed there. Besides a suite w/kitchen, it offers:

Close proximity to Metro stop and shuttle service to the stop.

Outdoor pool

Free continental breakfast (I've found to be rare in DC)

And I have found it to have great rates!

I think someone else here has vouched for it, too.

How many days are you coming for, are you driving, and what do you want to see? You could stay out in MD or VA and take the metro in. If you're looking for cheap(er) try near the Shady Grove metro. Avoid MD on the Prince George's country side (green, blue, and orange line in MD). I believe a lot of the hotels have metro shuttles. I ask what you want to see because some things require a car, but for lot of places using the metro to hop around would work well.

It is great - was the first hotel in D.C. to get air conditioning (ok, it is old) and no pool but walking distance to most places and Metro. Is a bloc or two away from Ford's Theater. Google for it - it is economical and safe. Also has very soundproof windows - we were right over a bus stop and across the street from an ESPN sportsbar and heard NOTHING!!!!

Thanks, gang! I looked at the specific places mentioned in this thread and nothing was available. But, with the general advice here and at the Fodor's forums, I found a place in Alexandria, VA. It is $180/night with free hot breakfast, shuttle to metro stop and a free snack room (!).

Samuel, others on the Fodor's site wrote to avoid Prince George's County, too. It must not be for tourists!

We are going to do every thing we can possibly cram into 6 days/ 5 nights! I am so excited I can't hardly stand it. I am going to prioritize and factor in down time so I don't have a mutiny.

Thanks again!