Menu

Experience with The Spectrum Chemistry

I hesitate to answer as I've not used it and won't be using it, but it's the one science class the local high school co-op uses that is not Apologia. Not actually a co-op but rather a group tutoring group. Anyway, they offer biology (Apologia), Chemistry (Spectrum), Physics (Apologia), Anatomy and Physiology (Apologia). So for whatever the reason, they do not use Apologia chem but rather Spectrum.

We did use it with my dd in her junior year. Science is not her thing, and we wanted something that didn't look too overwhelming for chemistry. She did this in combination with the Teaching Company's high school chemistry series, plus did the Bridge Math in the summer before. She pretty much did it on her own initially, but about Feb., she hit a wall and started floundering. In trying to help her, I realized she didn't really understand or had forgotten some of the earlier concepts. She plugged along for another month or so, but due to her very heavy course load that year, I had her stop the book and just finish out the year with the T.C. videos. Then we spent the summer going back over the book and finishing the labs. Everything is explained well with good illustrations, so I was able to help her, but I was a science major in college so that probably helps. She did all the labs and for the most part, they went well - taught some basic chemistry procedures.

There isn't a lot of extra in the textbook - everything there is important to know, so there is a tendency I think for the student to be able to rush through the reading fairly quickly and not really completely understand the concepts. It is helpful to go over things with them so that they can explain everything to you and make sure they are spending enough time on the material. I guess I would recommend it for a student that needs a fairly friendly approach to chemistry but that still covers the major topics - probably not for a future chemistry major. For what it's worth, she did do well on the science section of the ACT. HTH!

A few years ago, my husband and another father team-taught The Spectrum to one of our sons and two of the other dad's. Everybody enjoyed the year and thought it a good course.

If there are concerns about math, the company sells a review course that covers all the needed math. We did not need to buy it, so I have not seen that product.

Thanks for the input.

I have already purchased Bridge Math because I wanted to get a look at it over the summer, and possibly start him on it before fall. It looks like that will be fairly easy for him as he is solid, though not A+ in math. I figure that the practice doesn't hurt and that it's better for the math be 2nd nature while he's learning the science.

Along side of The Spectrum, I plan on using Zumdahl as another reference and then to use it more completely next year for AP Chemistry.

My son is so excited about learning both chemistry and physics that he started doing Conceptual Physics on his own time. So now I'm also trying to work fast at putting the rest of a physics curriculum in place for this summer, because he's not waiting for me. He doesn't have the math yet for a higher level physics, so for now, Conceptual Physics will work fine. If I had the chemistry materials ready to go, he'd probably be doing that now too. Maybe we've found his passion? We'll see....

Yes, that would be another good approach - a younger student who is very motivated to study chemistry and would go on to do AP chemistry later. It is very much designed and directed to the student, so if you get the books and lab materials and he understands things, he will probably take off with it!