Menu

X-Post: Writing Strands vs. IEW

Could anyone please compare these two programs? My dd writes for hours a day creatively (histories of imaginary countries, sequels to books she's read, screen plays for books she's read, etc.), but I feel that the writing process for essays, etc., needs to be cemented. She did some of the Jump In book and attended a free writing class this year, but I want her to continue on.

I have WS 4, 5, and 6 (bought and traded for some), but she has no prior experience in the program. My best friend has IEW and SWI-B that she is willing to let me borrow. I would like to go with a program that will help us get through high school.

Thanks for any comparisons, pros/cons, etc.!

As a homeschooler for 15 years, I've tried all the writing curricula =) Without a doubt, IEW has been the best. IMHO, WS didn't give enough instruction for us.

Teaching Structure and Style has given my own kids such freedom to write creatively.When I assign a report, there's minimal moaning =) Modeling, gently moving the student to the blank page creates confidence in budding writers. For those who love to write 15 pages of setting and characters, teaching structure allows for creativity and plot development.

I would suggest you watch disc one from TWSS. If you like what you see, have dd watch the SWI-B. IEW's philosophy is that writing shouldn't be a subject unto itself. Rather, instructors should use prompts from history, science, etc. So, you can incorporate TWSS without having to purchase another product. However, it is very convenient to have Mr. Pudewa, whom the kids love, instruct via dvd's. For tight budgets, theme based writing give mom lesson plans and a guide from beginning to end of year.

Personally, I've used/taught TWSS, SWI-A, SICC-B, SICC-C, Windows to the World, and Fables, Myths & Fairytales. Looking forward to using High School Essay Intensive and Advanced Communication, Economics Based Writing, and planning writing assignments from TOG Y4 for my 8th & 6th graders.

Please feel free to email if you have any questions. If I don't know the answer, I'll find it for you!

Blessings,

Teresa in NC

I've used both programs, and I'd recommend trying IEW. WS 4, 5 and 6 won't further your goal of essay writing at all--I dropped WS in the middle of 6, precisely for that reason. Even WS 7, which I bought but never used, does not appear to do much with regard to essays.

We switched to IEW and it was much, much better. It does an excellent job of teaching the structure needed for reports and essays.