Menu

US History spine recommendation needed

I'm looking for book/spine recommendations for covering US History from about pre-discovery (including some of the early explorers) up until pre-revolutionary war. I'm looking for something similar in style to Mystery of History, but am open to all recommendations. My student is a strong reader in 5th/6th grade.

Thanks!

Sabrina in AZ

I like Hakim's History of US for that age, but it is a set of books rather than a single book.

Regena

:iagree: We just started using it and love it. The chapters are short, with lots of pictures. We do several chapters per lesson.

Caveat: Don't believe critism you read on the internet. I did a google search, then cross the critism I found with the books and the critism was wrong.

I like Hakim's History of US for that age, but it is a set of books rather than a single book.

Regena

Thanks for the recommendation, but I should probably clarify my needs. I'm looking for something to use over the summer break. It's highly possible my kids will attend a classical/socratic method school this fall, but this will be the one time period my youngest won't get much exposure to so I'm looking to prevent that gap.

Thanks again!

Sabrina in AZ

Well there's not too much that's enticing for that age that would cover those topics and get you through it in 16 weeks. I'd suggest getting something less thrilling, say Abeka4 or the DK Children's Encyclopedia of American History and using that as a spine, fleshing it out with library reading and hands-on. Abeka4 has 13 or so chapters (last I checked), so you could complete the entire book in the summer. Or you could read through Landmarks, Jean Fritz books, the Cornerstone series (you can find them on ebay, maybe your library?), etc. All-American History is in the vein of MOH, but it is probably more than you want. A lighter spine fleshed out with good books would be quite interesting.

Thanks for the recommendation, but I should probably clarify my needs. I'm looking for something to use over the summer break. It's highly possible my kids will attend a classical/socratic method school this fall, but this will be the one time period my youngest won't get much exposure to so I'm looking to prevent that gap.

Thanks again!

Sabrina in AZ

I would still recommend History of US. I think it is a great series to go through over the summer.