Menu

What are the differences in MUS and Singapore Math?

home4fun

I have a 2nd grader who loves math. Loved Miquon and Singapore, but I am not sure his facts are really down. I'm not real interested in doing more than one curriculum. If I switched to MUS what would be the major differences in MSU and Singapore programs.

Thanks!

Angie

(home4fun)

Ok, I'll try my best here:D... I use singapore and I have had exposure to MUS because my irl bff used it. I have witnessed the procedure many times.

Singapore uses a spiral approach. MUS uses a mastery approach. Translated this means that MUS teaches like this:

1+1, 10+1, 10+10, 100+10, 100+235....2389+1903 before moving on to another subject, such as multiplication. Whereas singapore goes through the bottom level of multiple subjects and then goes back around. We are just hitting basic multiplication and have not yet gotten into the hundred's place with addition. See the difference.

What this meant fro my friend's son was that he had a harder time on the standardized tests (required in our state) not because MUS is a bad program, its great. But, the test was on some aspects that MUS had not gotten to yet because their scope and sequence is so different. That being said, I know people who love and swear by this program.

This approach does not appeal to me personally. I hope this helps. Someone can feel free to correct me if I have misspoke, but I think I got it right.

I wanted to add...I have been looking at Math Mammoth. I have purchased a blue bk download and it seems quite similar to Singapore but with a much slower spiral mixed with a mastery, if that makes sense? Same teaching style but with more emphasis and time dedicated to getting the facts down before moving on. They are inexpensive and worth looking at.

I think you would have a much easier time switching to MM from Singapore than trying to switch to MUS.

Actually, Singapore is a mastery program and so is MUS. However, MUS is much more mastery than Singapore because it stays on one operation the entire year (from what I understand; I have looked at it extensively, but not used it). I am now using Singapore for summer math, having used BJU during the school year. Both BJU and Singapore are mastery, meaning they spend entire chapters on one topic (like addition or multiplication or time for example). They do include regular review of previous concepts (BJU much more than Singapore, from what I've seen so far). Horizons, Abeka, Saxon and I believe CLE are all spiral -- in each lesson, they take a tiny new bite of a concept, but then have problems from a whole bunch of previously covered concepts. So you don't have a chapter just on two-digit addition for example. Look at samples of those curriculum and you'll see what I mean. Spiral works for some kids better than mastery. Personally, I cannot teach spiral math; it makes me crazy to have it so broken up. Fortunately, my dd does well with mastery too.

Actually, Singapore is a mastery program and so is MUS. However, MUS is much more mastery than Singapore because it stays on one operation the entire year (from what I understand; I have looked at it extensively, but not used it). I am now using Singapore for summer math, having used BJU during the school year. Both BJU and Singapore are mastery, meaning they spend entire chapters on one topic (like addition or multiplication or time for example). They do include regular review of previous concepts (BJU much more than Singapore, from what I've seen so far). Horizons, Abeka, Saxon and I believe CLE are all spiral -- in each lesson, they take a tiny new bite of a concept, but then have problems from a whole bunch of previously covered concepts. So you don't have a chapter just on two-digit addition for example. Look at samples of those curriculum and you'll see what I mean. Spiral works for some kids better than mastery. Personally, I cannot teach spiral math; it makes me crazy to have it so broken up. Fortunately, my dd does well with mastery too.

I don't see how singapore is mastery. I just taught my dd addition facts and subtraction facts in the same chapter. Number bond cover both in the same lesson (as per the HIG)!

The arguments about what is mastery, what is spiral and what is incremental have been long and extensive on this board. Let's not turn this thread into another one. It comes down to semantics and how we define terms. There are levels of mastery and spiral. Singapore spirals each year. Programs like Saxon continually spiral even in a single year (this is often called incremental). MUS doesn't spiral at all.

Not my intent. I was not aware of the history of this. I was genuinely baffled by the viewpoint. In the end, the label doesn't really matter. It just serves to quickly clarify an approach, but I see how this could be problematic if not everyone agrees on the definition. :confused:

To the op: you can ignore the terminology of spiral or master, but I stand by the original assesment that they are different approaches.

I wasn't trying to be argumentative, just clarifying. I have seen Singapore listed on Mastery vs. Spiral lists along w/ BJU and MUS many times. Abeka, Saxon et al do a lot of very different things in EVERY LESSON (like addition, shapes, time, weights etc), so in some way they are incremental or spiral. This is completely different than what Singapore does (or BJU). They devote a chapter to a topic -- not so for Abeka, Saxon etc. Every lesson is one basically one thing. It doesn't matter to me what the labels are. MUS is in a mastery class by itself, imo.

Thanks for all your input. My son loves the mastery approach and maybe that is just what I am struggling with. I am use to spiral and my oldest loves Saxon. I think I am worried that Singapore just does not spend enough time mastering and because we don't add and subtract and multiply and divide everyday I can't tell if he really has his facts in place.

Along with that sometimes I don't feel like I have any more teaching time to spend with him on math and so I started second guessing if MUS would be a better fit with the videos.

But I think I will stick with Singapore a bit longer and also look at BJU. I did not know they were a mastery program. Thanks for all your input.

Angie

(home4fun)

Just one more thing...from using Singapore just a few weeks, after using BJU for a year, I think I would supplement Singapore heavily with drill/review worksheets or activities if I used it for my main curriculum. It doesn't have nearly the review and fact review built in that BJU did (not that it is the perfect curriculum by any stretch, but it has some similarities to Singapore in how they teach things conceptually. It isn't heavy on the mental math like Singapore is though). I know it is in the HIG's to do certain activities for review and drill, but I like having printed things to have my dd do as "homework" or extra practice. I've read somewhere that Singapore assumes you will do fact drill separately. This is just what I would do, and I thought I'd mention it since you said there wasn't daily review of facts.

Just one more thing...from using Singapore just a few weeks, after using BJU for a year, I think I would supplement Singapore heavily with drill/review worksheets or activities if I used it for my main curriculum. It doesn't have nearly the review and fact review built in that BJU did (not that it is the perfect curriculum by any stretch, but it has some similarities to Singapore in how they teach things conceptually. It isn't heavy on the mental math like Singapore is though). I know it is in the HIG's to do certain activities for review and drill, but I like having printed things to have my dd do as "homework" or extra practice. I've read somewhere that Singapore assumes you will do fact drill separately. This is just what I would do, and I thought I'd mention it since you said there wasn't daily review of facts.

That is helpful as well!

Angie

(home4fun)