Menu

Lials questions...placement test or sample pages anywhere?

I don't know if the website which shows a placement test. From what I can remember, there is a placement test at the beginning of each Lial's book--which doesn't help you very much if you don't own the text!

Here is Lial's Basic College Math on Amazon. Amazon often shows sample pages, but in this case it does not. Here is the 8th edition of Introductory Algebra (Algebra I)--but again, the same situation--Amazon isn't showing any of the inside pages.

Here is the link to the publisher of Lial's--Pearson textbooks.

On the left-hand side of this webpage, it lists the Customer Support number: 1-800-848-9500.

What I would recommend doing, if I were in your situation, is calling the publisher to see if perchance they might be able to help you with placement options; i.e., if they have any sample placement tests they can mail you, or online placement tests.

One thing to note is that Lial's used to provide what they called DVTs--digital video tutors. These were CD-ROMs which played on the computer, only weren't quite as "smooth" as a regular DVD. They do provide a short lesson, which is helpful, but not as good, in my opinion, as Chalkdust's DVDs.

For myself (a non-mathy type mom), I really liked the Lial's books, and I think kids gain great benefit by actually being able to read a math textbook (not always an easy thing to do), but because of my own lack of skills in the area, Chalkdust might have been a better fit for my family. I didn't care for the Chalkdust text series as much as Lial's, but my oldest did well with their geometry program. So, sometimes finding the right "fit" for your child with math depends upon your own skills and also upon the child.

Best of luck to you!

I may have found a better solution for you. I looked in both of my texts, and I still have an intact copy of the Diagnostic Pretest in each book. I thought my girls had written on the originals, but they had not.

If you are interested, you could send me a PM with your address. I made a copy of each pretest--one for Basic College Math, and one for Introductory Algebra.

Just let me know, OK?

Just PM'd you!

I may have found a better solution for you. I looked in both of my texts, and I still have an intact copy of the Diagnostic Pretest in each book. I thought my girls had written on the originals, but they had not.

If you are interested, you could send me a PM with your address. I made a copy of each pretest--one for Basic College Math, and one for Introductory Algebra.

Just let me know, OK?

Mathematically--perhaps not, but I would check with someone more familiar with math than I am regarding the variations between the different editions.

Personally, if you can find the most recent editions, I would use those. I would also recommend that you still call the customer support number at Pearson Learning and ask them if they've upgraded the DVTs. As I mentioned, the DVTs are OK for a brief lesson, but are not as complete as my experience with Chalkdust. Also, I would recommend, whatever program you use, that you keep up with the knowledge and skills with your child for each lessons. For example, Chalkdust is touted as a program in which your child will learn with the DVDs and Dana Moseley is the teacher. Now, granted, Mr. Moseley is an excellent teacher, but I would still keep up with the lessons. I found that I had to do so, anyway. I believe Dana Moseley tries to get back with your child right away via e-mail (perhaps even phone? though I'm not sure about that), but if there's a time lag, that can be frustrating. I usually sat and watched the lesson each morning, plus read through sections of the chapter or at least familiarized myself with its contents.

I'll send off the pre-tests and answer keys to you in today's mail!

Michelle

Lial's is a name given to a textbook series authored by Margaret Lial and published by Pearson/Addison Wesley. By tradition they do not provide sample pages (public school/college texts). It is also not legal to send pages electronically...

Lial has 2 texts that will work for Pre-Algebra. The one I prefer is called Basic College Math. It takes the student through each concept FROM THE BEGINNING. Lial's text called Pre-Algebra contains the same core material--but moves at a faster pace. For middle school/high school purposes I prefer BCM because I feel it does a better job at finding AND FILLING any gaps before Algebra 1.

Lial has 2 different series at the high school/ remedial community college level. I prefer the 'developmental' or 'paperback' series. I like the page layout with practice problems in the sidebar...this is what I use with my online classes.

Introductory Algebra is Algebra 1

Intermediate Algebr is Algebra 2

Lial does have a Geometry program--but most go with a different program for this course--I use Holt Geometry 2007 with my online classes.

Lial also offers a Pre-Calc program.

There are FEW changes between the editions.

I use either the 7th or 8th editions because they are inexpensive and easy to find in new/used condition. Because these are community college texts they must put out a new edition at least every other year... so most changes are in the cover picture!

The newer 10th edition does have 'slightly improved' DVTs--but I have never used those--and I would not want my students to use those on a daily basis. The text actually contains the WHOLE lesson (this is what makes this program different from other programs where the text just gives a brief review of the lesson a teacher is supposed to teach/give).

There are FEW changes between the editions.

I use either the 7th or 8th editions because they are inexpensive and easy to find in new/used condition. Because these are community college texts they must put out a new edition at least every other year... so most changes are in the cover picture!

Where do you usually find them? Amazon?

Jan

I've used Intermediate Alg & PreCalculus and just bought Basic College Math for myself. I found the 7th edition books. As Jann said there isn't much difference between them and the newer edition except price and book cover. I found mine on Abebooks.com. I bought the student books, the student solutions manual (which has the answers all worked out for the odd problems, all the review problems and the test) and set of the DVT's for $35 dollars. Mine son has excelled with this program. After all these years we finally found a fit for him in Math.

• 1 year later...

I was just looking for some way to place my son into Lial's for pre algebra and for introductory algebra. I saw your post about having the placement or diagnostic tests from the front of the books. Would it be possible for you to send them to me in a file? Please?

Fradonna