Menu

Prima Latina vs Latina Christiana

nikhen

I think if I had to do it all over again, I would just start with LCI. If you need to move a little more slowly. I would also suggest that as your child learns their vocab., you teach the nominative and genitive + the gender and its declension. That way they don't have to learn it again later. With verbs I would teach all principal parts from the beginning. I wouldn't necessarily explain why yet, but my dd struggled so in LCI and II, and now after a memorizing all the declensions in a classical co-op she said to me, why didn't I teach it this way from the beginning. It would have make life so much easier.

Actually, I would also suggest you search for Angela in Ohio's thread about teaching Latin through recitation. She makes valid points. I am now going to hold off on teaching my younger children formal Latin. This year they memorized declensions. Next year they are going to memorize conjugations. Then, I am going to start LCI in their 4th grade year with that background. HTH

I tried Prima Latina with my 2nd and 3rd grader last school year. The 3rd grader loved it, but the 2nd grader hated it. The younger one was fine for the first 5 or 6 lessons and then it became a battle. Mid-year I switched her to Song School Latin and the older daughter continued with Prima Latina. They are now teaching each other their Latin programs, so they are sort of doing both. It's a little bit harder on me, but they are happy. I really don't think a 2nd grader's grammar, unless they are very advanced, will be strong enough for LCI. IMHO.

Between the two, I would definitely choose Prima Latina. For such a young child, even better might be Song School Latin & then Prima Latina. LCI has alot of memorization and it moves quite fast. To put it in perspective, once you finish LCII, it is worth a high school credit!