Menu

free stuff to do in NYC?

Dh and I went last year and we had a blast. I got a books that listed walking tours and we threw on a backpack and walked. One of the books featured literary walking tours and we got to see where Edgar Allen Poe read The Raven the first time and many other neato places in the Village. We ate at neat little cafes and had the best time ever. Ever, ever, ever... Oh, we took the subway when we didn't walk.

Ride the Staten Island Ferry past the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, visit St. Patrick's Cathedral and Ground Zero (not fun, but...), picnic in Central Park, walk through Chinatown and what's left of Little Italy, go to Times Square and visit Toys R Us or American Girl Place, take a walk over the Brooklyn Bridge, tour the Federal Reserve, have a big pretzel from a street vendor... ok, not free, but goooood!

Ride the Staten Island Ferry past the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, visit St. Patrick's Cathedral and Ground Zero (not fun, but...), picnic in Central Park, walk through Chinatown and what's left of Little Italy, go to Times Square and visit Toys R Us or American Girl Place, take a walk over the Brooklyn Bridge, have a big pretzel from a street vendor... ok, not free, but goooood!

This is almost exactly what we did when we were there, and they were great!! I highly recommend timing your walk over the Brooklyn Bridge for sunset walking towards Manhattan. This was one of the highlights of the trip for me. It is just beautiful and you get a real sense of the city. It feels really safe too because there are so many people out walking. Don't forget to ride the subway. Have fun. We really enjoyed NYC.

Beth,

I think you may have just put NYC on the top of my vacation list. Not only do my dss' live only 30 minutes away but an 18 MILE bookstore....my dh just rolled his eyes but I am already planning. hee hee heee

Alison

They ship too, so you don't have to worry about how you are going to get all those books home!

Many of the museums have a "pay what you want" option. Don't be bashful--those ticket prices add up.

The American Museum of Natural History is a must see and they allow you to decide what you can pay--but they don't advertise it. Just say you can pay $1 a person, for example. This doesn't apply to special features--many are expensive but very wonderful. If you've never been, you can get an eyeful--and a headful--without having to do the extras. On a lower level--I forget which-- you will find a discovery type room. Be sure to ask where it is when you get your tickets. There is no special charge for this, but you have to sign up for a time slot in advance by going to the room. ( I think. Maybe you sign up at the ticket counter. Just ask to be sure)

Across from the northeast corner of the museum is a great playground just inside Central Park.

Also on the roof of the museum is a grassy roof garden.

EJ's luncheonette is nearby, but it can be crowded on weekends.

the children's museum is also nearby but pricey and no great shakes (at least compared to the Boston museum

Also free (or almost) for the asking is the Met, the most amazing museum of art ever. Wonderful. Also a great roof view of the park, etc, from the roof bar or roof cafe.

Try to find the Shakespeare Garden in Central Park. Also the Sheep's Meadow is great for people watching.

The Central Park Zoo is fun, but nutty on weekends and pricey.

Have fun!

I'd love to hear if any of this works out!

I second the Staten Island Ferry and just walking.

I have been to the Strand.. my hubby and I are bookaholics (is that the right term??).. so I know what you are talking about. We are meeting family, and will mostly be on the east side.. So I probably should have said free or cheap stuff to do on the east side.... with teenagers to give relatives in their 80s a break.

I also may go to 58th street to a piano dealer.. who maybe might let my son practice..

Anyway thanks. I'll let you know how it goes..

Ame