Menu

need a good phonics/reading program suggestion for my 6 y.o

mafi39

We are currently using explode the code and are on book 3. We are almost finished with it and will start book 4 soon. Here's the thing: He is 6 and will be in "first" grade next year, but he reads better than a first grade phonics program starts out with. But his isn't quite up to a second grade level. I want to buy him a reading program, but where do I start? He is reading long and short vowels, blends and digraphs so starting a first grade program would be silly since it starts out with short vowels.

Should I continue on the ETC route? What readers can I add to it? What program would keep him on the right track but also challenge him to keep reading better? Thanks for any suggestions!

Will you be continuing with phonics all summer long? If you're planning on taking a break, he may need to start at the beginning of a first grade curriculum, but maybe take it a little faster, for a review. I know a lot of second grade programs review phonics, so it seems someone out there thinks one just can't get enough review in when it comes to phonics.

If you will be continuing through the summer I would just continue with ETC (though I haven't used that program myself) if that's working for him. For readers you could look at

Dr. Maggie's Phonics Readers (there are four sets)

readers from AAS like Cobweb the Cat, What Am I?, and Queen Bee

or books like Little Bear, Frog and Toad, Owl at Home, Mouse Soup etc.

Guest johnnyyvette

I really like The Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading (OPGTR) that is recommended in the The Well-Trained Mind. You can start anywhere in that book based on where your son is at and go from there. Then just supplement his reading with readers from the library like the ones that crstarlette recommended. You could even check OPGTR out from your library (they have several copies at our library) to see if it would be a good fit for you and your son.

Hope that helps.

Nicole