Menu

teaching computer skills?

creekmom

I graduated from college in 1992 and totally missed all the computer instruction. I know enough to get by, but I don't want my kids to miss out like I did. I know that my 3rd grade nephew is already doing power point presentations for school work! I've heard that the library often gives free computer classes. Should I hire a computer tutor? I'd appreciate any suggestions!

I graduated the same year. What, you don't use Basic anymore? :lol:

You should search for past threads about computer skills. There have been some very, very informative conversations about the need, or lack of need, for various computer skills.

My view: PP is all the rage in elementary schools. You can teach what they are doing with PP in about ten minutes, though, so don't get too concerned. ;) Teaching basic academic skills is a better use of their time in elementary school.

If your library offers computer classes for free or a minimal amount, definitely take them! Why not? :001_smile: They may let you bring your dc if you enroll, too, or they may have them for students.

I wouldn't worry about hiring a computer tutor. Let your dc work on Excel, Power Point, and Word for a bit in their free time. The programs are very intuitive, and there are tutorials on most programs.

If there is a market for this, someone needs to help me write the books. :)

I'm curious. What is out there for our dc's?

Do you want to know programming, management, or software for pcs? LOL

I'll anwer your questions if you want to grab a book and teach yourself. :):):)

If there is a market for this, someone needs to help me write the books. :)

I'm curious. What is out there for our dc's?

Do you want to know programming, management, or software for pcs? LOL

I'll anwer your questions if you want to grab a book and teach yourself. :):):)

Thanks!! I think my main problem is I don't know where to start! Is there a link with updated grade level expectations that includes computer skills?? I also need to read through some of the older threads about computer skills for kids.

I'd think typing is probably the first thing to work on.

I don't think I'd focus too much (until high school age) on specific programs like PowerPoint (which I personally despise after sitting through far too many lectures where the instructor reads their slides to the class - aargh!).

In elementary school, we'll be doing typing and basic computer familiarity (using mouse, opening and closing windows, just whether the child is comfortable using a computer).

In middle school/high school, we may be doing some programming languages (knowing that what would be industry standard when he's out of college may be very different from what he'd be learning with us).

I'd be curious what you think you missed out on with computer instruction. That may be a place to start.

I've been a part-time IT professor for over a decade, and my kids didn't start working with computers until they were easily reading novels and were writing paragraphs. You can prove anything with a study, but there's plenty of evidence that early computer use doesn't make any difference in the long run and can actually hinder attention and literacy in some children. Jane Healy is one author who has written a lot about this. She was cited in one of the WTM books (don't know about the current one).

I began with keyboarding at around 8 or 9 and then taught them document production in Word and how to use Photoshop for the pictures they take. By age 10 they were typing their own papers with formatting including fonts, pictures, etc. Now they're into video production and web page development, and I'm teaching my teen Powerpoint.

Bottom line -- don't worry about gradeschool kids using Powerpoint. It isn't that hard to pick up, and IMHO it's more meaningful when they're in the logic stage and understand how to give a good presentation. Excel will come when they're high school and need to do data analysis for science, and then I'll get Access in after that.

And don't feel bad about this. I almost always have at least one young college student in each section who tells me "I already know all of this" and then they proceed to bottom out and/or even fail. The older students actually tend to do better because they know they need to learn.

Look for keyboarding, and not typing. I know this does not sound like either should be different, but they are.

What do you see as the difference?

I'm aware that the standard has changed from 2 spaces after a period to 1 (and boy was that a tough transition to make!), but what makes keyboarding different from typing?

Thanks for any info!

Meaning, that they learn the keyboard shortcuts, windows hotkeys, purpose of the function keys, etc. The basic touch-typing is the same - QWERTY keyboard. I was fighting with a Win 7 installation when I responded earlier. I would have elaborated!

I've been a part-time IT professor for over a decade, and my kids didn't start working with computers until they were easily reading novels and were writing paragraphs. You can prove anything with a study, but there's plenty of evidence that early computer use doesn't make any difference in the long run and can actually hinder attention and literacy in some children. Jane Healy is one author who has written a lot about this. She was cited in one of the WTM books (don't know about the current one).

I began with keyboarding at around 8 or 9 and then taught them document production in Word and how to use Photoshop for the pictures they take. By age 10 they were typing their own papers with formatting including fonts, pictures, etc. Now they're into video production and web page development, and I'm teaching my teen Powerpoint.

Bottom line -- don't worry about gradeschool kids using Powerpoint. It isn't that hard to pick up, and IMHO it's more meaningful when they're in the logic stage and understand how to give a good presentation. Excel will come when they're high school and need to do data analysis for science, and then I'll get Access in after that.

And don't feel bad about this. I almost always have at least one young college student in each section who tells me "I already know all of this" and then they proceed to bottom out and/or even fail. The older students actually tend to do better because they know they need to learn.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

Meaning, that they learn the keyboard shortcuts, windows hotkeys, purpose of the function keys, etc. The basic touch-typing is the same - QWERTY keyboard. I was fighting with a Win 7 installation when I responded earlier. I would have elaborated!

Thanks!