Menu

History at our House

3andme

Has anyone used this? I'm considering this for a 7 and 9 yo.

I've looked at the website and I've read some positive reviews elsewhere. Is it just lectures and some mapwork or is there more to it? I can't seem to find a spine or associated books. Do you just find supplementary material or am I missing something?

Has anyone used this? I'm considering this for a 7 and 9 yo.

I've looked at the website and I've read some positive reviews elsewhere. Is it just lectures and some mapwork or is there more to it? I can't seem to find a spine or associated books. Do you just find supplementary material or am I missing something?

We are using HaoH for 8th grade this year. I have started to write a review, but it's not ready for publication yet. If you email me, I will send it to you.

There is no spine and he offers little in the way of supplementary reading. He admits he's not much of a literature guy.

Here in an old thread with a start at my review.

For that age, I wonder why you don't use SOTW. It's an excellent program.

We've been doing the Upper Elementary, which I think is excellent.

It is a secular program.

Although Mr. Powell does not specifically schedule any reading, he often has book suggestions on the sides of his download pages for you to use, or not. In addition you could ask on the yahoo group but really, if you are looking for lit. you can find that all over the place.

I am too tired from gardening to go into much detail. It is not cheap, but I think my kids have gotten so much out of it. The tests are pretty intense, and he does a good job of not only preparing the kids for them, but talking them through answering test questions well. This is an added bonus, in addition to the geography and history.

I have pretty much agreed with his interpretation of things, and sometimes we go down a rabbit trail about something that he didn't explain in enough detail to my satisfaction.

I look forward to reading your review Sue!

We WILL be doing HAOH next year as well.

I just went back to that old thread... hahaha.. it cracks me up. :D Many of your pros/cons don't apply to the level I am in... but are very good to know!

I am sure you can be happy w/ SOTW at that age, like Sue suggests. I was never a very big fan of it though. It was fine when my kids were little, but I never went back to it after halfway through the second book.

Good luck doing your research and making a choice!