Menu

Apologia Biology..is a microscopr a "must-have"?

We want to do this next year; the cost is adding up quickly. Share with me your thoughts about using/having a microscope for this class.

You can Google for online images of the items you're supposed to view under the microscope. It's not as "cool" as seeing the real thing, but it would work.

Dd really wanted one, but we were nervous about bringing one to India from America, and so she consented to wait until this summer for us to buy one and use it at home. She is really excited to get this tool! If you can at all swing it, you may find you really enjoy having one available.

I would say that it depends on the student. Is he or she into science? We bought a nice microscope for $250 and there it sits after a few times looking at slides and pond scum. I only use it now if there is something tiny I want to identify, but then again, sometimes it's best just not to know. :D

although dd enjoys science, she's not crazy about it, but I would use it with younger dd too, especially when she's ready for biology. I'll have to mull it over and add up all my other anticipated homeschool expenditures for next year.

Thanks!

I did a quick search, and now the MSK-01 is available from Amazon for $108 with the mechanical stage! Wow!!! I don't know what the difference is between the MS and the MSK - the only thing I can find is that the Sam's one comes with a 20 watt bulb, and the Amazon one comes with a 15 watt bulb. No reviews on it, but it gives you more to research. :tongue_smilie:

Okay, now I'm confused. lol I searched for the difference between the ms and the msk, and came across this entry in a forum:

I picked up an MA88-300, which is a 3mpx camera. And, I could not be happier. I mounted the camera on a typical student microscope (MS-01) that can be purchase for under $100 from Sam's Club online. (The MS-01 is an excellent scope if you do not need an oil immersion 1000x lens and the the Sam's club price is fantastic since it includes a mechanical stage and fine focus adjustment.)

It sounds like the Sam's Club one comes with the mechanical stage too.

On edit: I checked and Sam's says the mechanical stage can be added, but it doesn't look like it's included. Amazon would be the way to go IMO. :)

On edit again: lol I went to the C & A Scientific site, and the MS is a better microscope - so I'd go with the Sam's and add on the mechanical stage. One of the differences is that the eyepiece rotates, but there are others as well.

http://www.cnascientific.com/Products/Product.aspx?id=24 (click on student microscopes at the top of this link, and you'll get both the ms and the msk to compare)

For anyone with someone really into science, the MS-03 is available on Amazon for about $250 depending on corded with tungsten lamp, or cordless with LED. This has four lenses up to 1000x and the iris diaphram vs. the disc. I would think this one would easily work even for college level.

Edited by Teachin'Mine

It sounds to me like the Amazon, or the Sam's Club would be sufficient for the Apologia Biology? I know nothing about microscopes other than the one for $230 from Sonlight seems to have a good reputation. However, you gotta love the $100 price point.

Erek's mom, I read about the Sonlight because I know it's gotten great reviews here. For the about the same cost, you can get the MS-03 which has all the awesome features, and 1000x as well. Just a thought.

The MS-01 is missing the mechanical stage - which can be added - and has the disc instead of the iris aperature. The lenses might be different as well - forget the exact words used to describe the feature, but it means you can change lenses and the object will still be in view and in focus. I don't think that's on the 01, but it is on the 03.

If you look at the Sonlight, I would guess it's made by C & A Scientific specifically for them. The basic microscope appears very similar with an all white base as opposed to the gray on the others. But some of the features are different - maybe the light source as well.

I have a science nut in the house and we received a microscope from a local school that was getting rid of it. None of my kids (including the science nut) have ever been interested in using it. My son who just completed Apologia Biology didn't even use it - (check recommended links), and we've used it twice. So glad we didn't purchase it.

Our christian school in town also has a great relationship with homeschoolers, and I'm sure if we had asked, they would have let us borrow one or bring things in to school to use it.

$100 is a LOT of money for us to swing. Depends how your budget is.

Defiitely don't think of it as a necessity. :)

The microscope I bought is the one from Sonlight. The only reason I bought the Sonlight microscope was that I bought it used (and in perfect condition) for under $100!! I think if I were buying a microscope today, I would probably buy the one from Amazon.

About oil immersion, Jay Wile said: "I would never recommend a 1,000x microscope for any student. ...Most people fail to realize that a 1000x lens is significantly worse than a 400x lens unless you do oil immersion. Since oil immersion is tricky and often results in broken lenses and slides, people do not do it or do not do it properly. In the end, then, they use a 1000x microscope and get significantly worse results than they would with a 400x microscope."

Source: http://www.redshift.com/~bonajo/microscope.htm

The microscope I bought is the one from Sonlight. The only reason I bought the Sonlight microscope was that I bought it used (and in perfect condition) for under $100!! I think if I were buying a microscope today, I would probably buy the one from Amazon.

About oil immersion, Jay Wile said: "I would never recommend a 1,000x microscope for any student. ...Most people fail to realize that a 1000x lens is significantly worse than a 400x lens unless you do oil immersion. Since oil immersion is tricky and often results in broken lenses and slides, people do not do it or do not do it properly. In the end, then, they use a 1000x microscope and get significantly worse results than they would with a 400x microscope."

Source: http://www.redshift.com/~bonajo/microscope.htm

Yes I read that about the 1000x. I think it's used more on the college level, so that's why I mentioned it for a serious science student. I think that the MS-03 has the feature which prevents slides from breaking as does the Sonlight. (The end of the lens retracts if you accidentally bring the stage with the slide up too close to the lens.) Not sure if this is a feature of the MS-01.

thank you for all the links and posts. It appears there are some great deals if we decide to purchase a microscope. I appreciate all the research you ladies have done and willingly shared.

I also appreciate knowing there are several of you who were successful without owning a microscope. I also wondered if our local community college might let us "have a look" now and then. We're in a fairly small, tight-knit community.

This is my 8th year homeschooling, first full-year as newly single mom. Balancing the budget is critical.

Thank you!